department menu


"As a community of students, faculty, and staff, we at Cal State San Marcos are committed to respecting and modeling the diversity of our region within the context of social justice.  Together we strive for educational equity and promote a fair and open environment for the exchange of ideas." 
          ♦  CSUSM Strategic Priority 5 ♦

Mission Statement

“The AB 540 task force at CSUSM supports the academic excellence of AB 540 students by advocating for and cultivating a safe and welcoming campus environment, serving as informed contacts who have current policy information and are aware of available resources, and fostering pathways for prospective students by building community relations with local educators.”


Greetings and welcome to the CSU San Marcos on-line resource guide for AB 540 students.  This web site is designed to provide information to new and current students who are seeking information about AB 540 eligibility as well as for faculty and staff who advise AB 540 Students regarding eligibility and available resources.  We hope you will find the information contained at the site helpful, informative, and a valuable resource in promoting educational opportunities for all students.

State Law - Assembly Bill 540

Assembly Bill 540 was signed into law on October 12, 2001 by then Governor Gray Davis.  Authored by the late Assembly member Marco A. Firebaugh, Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) added a new section 68130.5 to the California Education Code. The new provisions created a new exemption from the payment of nonresident tuition for certain nonresident students who have attended high school in California for three or more years and received a high school diploma or its equivalent. [Education Code section 68130.5].  The exemption from the payment of nonresident tuition is the singular focus of the AB 540 legislation for those students who meet the qualifications of AB 540.  AB 540 does not change an eligible student's California residency status nor does it provide access to federal and state financial aid programs.  Information regarding financial aid resources can be found under Paying for College.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: If I am an undocumented student can I go to college?

A: Yes, as an undocumented student, you can go to any college or university in California as long as you meet the requirements and are admitted/accepted.  To be exempt from paying out-of-state tuition at a public college or university in California, you will need to meet the AB 540 eligibility requirements.  Please refer to the link regarding Applying for Admission for information specific to Cal State San Marcos.   More..