GEL 101: A Course for Facilitating Academic Success
"The Student,The University,The Community"
The GEL 101 Mission
As a first-year student, you are just beginning your journey through the world of higher education. This journey will require you to take a fresh look at your skills, who you are and where you are going. The primary mission of our GEL 101 course is to help students make a successful transition from high school to academic life at Cal State San Marcos.
What students do in GEL 101
Your GEL instructor, along with library faculty and career advisors, will challenge you with a set of activities and assignments designed to strengthen your motivation to be in college, your skills for learning and the development of your personal academic and career plan. You will work on:
- Time Management skills
- College level study skills & test taking strategies
- Understanding & developing your personal learning styles
- Developing your personal academic plan
- Clarifying your career goals, researching career options & resume writing
- Assessing personal wellness, values & ethical decision making
- Exploring opportunities to become an active member of the campus community outside the classroom
Who should take GEL 101
GEL 101 is open only to first-year students. It fulfills the lower-division general education requirement in Area E, "Life Long Learning & Information Literacy." Over 70% of our first-year students complete GEL 101 by the end of their first year of college. Cal State San Marcos has been offering GEL 101 since 1995 and the course has a strong track record. Students who complete GEL 101 are more likely to stay in college.