- ALCI Home
- About the ALCI
- ALCI Programs
- Academic Preparation
- TOEFL Waiver
- Semester at CSU San Marcos
- University Bridge
- Language Travel
- Short Term Program Form
- Teacher Training
- Workplace Training
- Apply to the ALCI
- ALCI Housing
- ALCI Forms
- Contact the ALCI
- ALCI Student Activities
- Undergraduate International Admissions
- Graduate International Admissions
Intensive Academic Preparation Program
The Intensive Academic Preparation (IAP) prepares you for study at an American university or college. The IAP program is also useful for professionals who need better skills and an advanced level of academic English.
Completion of the IAP provides a TOEFL Waiver for graduate and undergraduate admission to California State University San Marcos (CSUSM). Conditional Admission to CSUSM is also available to qualified graduate and undergraduate students.
The IAP is a year-round program. Classes begin in the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. To enter this program, you must be at least 18 years old or a high-school graduate, and have basic English skills.
View the Intensive Academic Preparation Slideshow.
IAP Program Features:
- Six proficiency levels
- 24 class hours per week
- Small classes (average class size is 15)
- American conversation partners
- Group activities such as beach BBQs and bonfires, picnics, and cultural celebrations
- Visits to University classes
- Academic courses in reading, vocabulary, academic writing, grammar, public speaking, study skills, and test preparation
- CSUSM credit classes for qualified, advanced-level students
- Chances to make international friends
- Certificates of completion
Taking University Classes for Credit
You may take a university class for credit with American students at CSU San Marcos if you have a grade of "C" or higher in all your ALCI courses, and test into Level 105, OR Have a minimum TOEFL score of 61 (iBT), 173 (computer), or 500 (paper). On meeting these requirements, you may add a university class if there is available space in that class.