- ALCI Home
- About the ALCI
- ALCI Programs
- Academic Preparation
- TOEFL Waiver
- Semester at CSU San Marcos
- University Bridge
- Language Travel
- Short Term Program Form
- Teacher Training
- Workplace Training
- Apply to the ALCI
- ALCI Housing
- ALCI Forms
- Contact the ALCI
- ALCI Student Activities
- Undergraduate International Admissions
- Graduate International Admissions
Semester at CSU San Marcos
The ALCI offers semester-long and year-long study-abroad programs for international university students. As a Semester at CSU San Marcos student, you may take university classes without applying to the university.
As a Semester at CSU San Marcos student, you may take between one and four university classes for credit (12 units maximum), per semester depending on your English level. If you have a TOEFL score of 61, with a minimum score of 19 on the writing and 14 on the other sections, an IELTS score of 5.5 with a 5.5 in the Writing section, or a DAAD Level B, you may be eligible to take four university classes without enrolling in ALCI's English classes. If you do not have a TOEFL or IELTS score, you will take the ALCI's English placement test on the first day of New Student Orientation. If you feel that your English skill is higher than your TOEFL or IELTS score indicates, you may also take the ALCI English placement test on the first day of New Student Orientation. Taking our English placement test will not delay your enrollment in university classes.
You will pay tuition and fees to the ALCI. Plan to arrive in San Marcos at least five days before the semester start date. You must meet with the ALCI Academic Coordinator during New Student Orientation to select your university courses. You will enroll in university courses on a space-available basis during the first week of university classes. You will receive specific instructions about getting professor approval and enrolling in university classes during ALCI New Student Orientation.
You should make arrangements to stay in San Marcos for at least two weeks after the ALCI program end date in order to complete university courses and take final exams.
To apply for Semester at CSU San Marcos, send:
*Use Application Checklist to make sure everything is complete.
- A Semester at CSU San Marcos application form.
- An original bank statement dated within the past six months.
- A photocopy of your passport.
- A $150 application fee (non-refundable) payable by credit card or check to "CSUSM." This includes the express mail fee. The fee may be greater depending on the country.
- Transcripts in English and list of courses you are currently taking.
- Unofficial TOEFL, IELTS, or DAAD score, if you have one. If you have not taken TOEFL, IELTS, or DAAD, you will take the ALCI placement test.
- List of 10 Open University courses you wish to take. To find classes, use: http://www.csusm.edu/schedule/, and select your semester of study. This may be submitted at a later date.
As a Semester at CSU San Marcos student, you are part of California State University San Marcos campus life. You have a student identification card and full access to:
- Computer and language labs
- The library and media center
- The Student Health and Counseling Center
- Student clubs
- Intramural sports teams
- Field House gym and weight room membership (extra fee required)
- Campus cultural activities
- Student services assistance (academic advising, housing, banking, immigration, and health care)