Liberal Studies Student Learning OutcomesThe goals of the Liberal Studies Program are that of all our graduates
• Learn to engage in reasoned thinking.
• Maintain open, inquiring, and skeptical minds.
• Develop cultural sensitivity and tolerance for cultural differences.
• Acquire environmental awareness.
• Establish a foundation for understanding social issues.
Students graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies will
1. Understand how knowledge can be connected across multiple disciplines;
2. Formulate their own goals for continued learning and inquiry based on a foundation of intellectual curiosity;
3. Understand and appreciate the positive value and essential role of diversity;
4. Think critically and creatively;
5. Write and speak clearly, coherently, and thoughtfully;
6. Read, understand, and evaluate all forms of text; and
7. Be familiar with technologies appropriate to the research and dissemination of knowledge.
Students in the BRS Option will
-Develop a theoretical understanding of borders and border communities;
-Identify key issues and apply appropriate conceptual and operational definitions in the study of border communities and regions; and
-Design and implement border research projects using appropriate methodologies.
Students in the ESM and ICP Options will
-Acquire a breadth of knowledge across the range of subjects included in these options: Reading, Language, and Literature, Mathematics; Natural Sciences; History and Social Sciences; Visual and Performing Arts; Human Development; and Physical Education; and
-Demonstrate greater depth of knowledge in their selected Depth of Study.