2017 Post-Inauguration Events
Interim Dean Basu would like to invite all of you to participate by planning an event
/ workshop / conversation / panel / presentation for that week. You can plan to do
this by yourself or as a department / committee / working group / student club in
the college. We welcome your input and your presence as we plan for what lies ahead.
The College of Humanities, Arts, Behavioral and Social Sciences is developing a week
of post-inaugural events inclusive of all students, faculty, staff, and our community.
Stay tuned and check this page for updates.
- 2/23/17: Imagining the Muslim from Shakespeare to Trump, 12:00 – 12:50 pm, ARTS 111
- 1/23/17: LBST K-12 Teaching and Citizenship Roundtable, 1:30 – 2:30 pm, SBSB 4111
- 1/24/17: DACA: Know Your Rights Information Session, 12:00 noon – 12:50 pm, Arts 240
- 1/25/17: CHABSS Sexuality and Gender Affinity Group, 10:00 – 11:15 am, SBSB 4111
- 1/25/17: Arts & Social Justice, 11:00 am – 12:00 noon, Arts 111
- 1/26/17: Project Positivity Open Mic, 12:00 noon – 12:50 pm, SBSB 4111
CSUSM’s Literature & Writing Club and Sigma Tau Delta (the English Honors Society)
are hosting Project Positivity. It is an open invitation to faculty, staff, and students to present their own poems,
essays, short stories, music, etc. While there are no stringent rules for the pieces,
we want to encourage creative freedom, we request that all works contain motifs along
the lines of optimism, hope, tolerance, compassion, and diversity. Due to the politically
charged climate we are now facing (and will continue to face), it is important to
promote student-run activities that will encourage others to share their ideas and
opinions, spread goodwill and kindness throughout the community, and empower students
to take actions that will positively influence both themselves and their surroundings.
By allowing for student voices to be heard and encouraging students to assist with
organizing and sharing these voices, this nonpartisan project will work towards bridging
the gap that we currently face in our polarized and divided time.
- 1/26/17: What's Next? CSUSM Students Reflect on Challenges and Prospects after the Inauguration, 12:00 noon – 12:50 pm, SBSB 4117
The Political Science department would like to invite you to join a discussion led
by Chris Morales, ASI Vice President and Political Science major, on challenges and
prospects for action.
- 1/27/17: Post-Inauguration Reflection: "What's Love Got to Do with It?", 10:30 am – 12:00 pm, SBSB 4111
As part of this series of events, Dean Basu is hosting a conversation titled, Post-Inauguration Reflections: “What’s love got to do with it?” The conversation will be followed by a Practicing Compassion during Difficult Times session led by Marie Thomas and Jacky Thomas in the same room from 12:00 noon to
1:00 pm. We encourage the community to attend.