- About Us
- Early Assessment Program (EAP)
- EPT/ELM Requirements
- EPT/ELM Exams
- English Proficiency (EPT)
- Mathematics Proficiency (ELM)
- ELM: Score Below 50
- Math 22 Resources
- Language Learning Center
- Language Other Than English Requirement (LOTER)
- Math Lab
- Personalized Academic Success Services
- Writing Center
- Contact CLASS
English Placement Test (EPT) Requirement
Exempt from EPT requirement if:
- A score of "Exempt" on the the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP), taken in grade 11.*
- A score of "Conditionally Exempt" on the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) and successful completion of a CSU approved Senior Year English course.*
- A score of 500 or above on the SAT Verbal section.*
- A score of 22 or above on the ACT English section.*
- A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AP Language and Composition/Composition and Literature Examination.
- An International Baccalaureate English score of 4 or above.
- EPT Score: 147 or above - Passed! EPT Cleared - English proficiency requirement met.*
*You still must take GEW 101 for graduation (A2) requirement.
Must complete EPT requirement if:
EPT score below 147 or condition for EAP exemption not met – You must take 1 class – must take in your 1st semester
- 1st semester (Fall) take General Education Writing (GEW) 101
You are required to participate in Early Start the summer before your first fall semester if you score below 147 on the EPT or if you are EAP Conditional and did not take and pass a CSU approved senior year English course to meet the condition for exemption from the EPT requirement.
***If you do not clear your EPT requirement by the end of your first year, you will be disenrolled from CSUSM and not allowed to return until you have done so.
If you experience extenuating circumstances preventing you from clearing your EPT requirement within your first year of enrollment at CSUSM, you can submit a Petition for Exception for an extension.