Congratulations on your decision to participate in an internship!
☑ Gain valuable work experience in a field of interest
☑ Learn time management
☑ Apply academic information into real-world situations
☑ Learn how to be a team player
☑ Learn how to communicate with various audiences
☑ Handle conflict and pressure in the workplace effectively
☑ Develop a network
☑ Interact with diverse groups of individuals
☑ Enhance people and customer service skills
☑ Increase value on your resume
Helpful Tips and Suggestions
- Do not wait until you're a graduating senior to consider taking an internship. Explore the idea as a sophomore or junior.
- Internship opportunities vary by semester. Check the Internship Database for updated opportunties and deadlines.
- Most internships will require a formal cover letter, resume/CV, and/or an interview. If you need help with any of these, the CSUSM Career Center is a great on-campus resource.
- When responding to an opportunity you are interested in, identify yourself as a CSUSM student and your major.
- Avoid sending a generic email and write a response specific to the community partner and the internship opportunity. Explain why you are interested in the position and why you are a qualified candidate.
- Refer to the FAQs section, the Student Intern Handbook, and resources below for more tips and suggestions.