Super STEM Saturday
GET READY FOR NEXT YEAR!
SATURDAY, MARCH 11, 2017
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
FREE EVENT | No registration required | Rain or shine
at California State University San Marcos
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos
Explore interactive demonstrations and hands-on science activities at Super STEM Saturday, including rocket launches, build-a-robot stations, model displays, scientist chats and a obstacle course. The event is free and open to the public. Complimentary parking available in Lot F.
Super STEM Saturday is designed to expose and engage kids of all ages and their families to the diverse and exciting fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, known as the STEM disciplines. The brainchild of The Classical Academies and held in partnership with CSUSM, Super STEM Saturday has grown into a popular North County event that draws over 5,000 science enthusiasts each year to the university campus.
Here is a sneak peek at some of the fun...
- Play frisbee with a robot
- View the surface of the sun through special filtered solar telescopes
- Visit the Sprout by HP trailer and watch your creation come to life on a 3D printer
- Connect to wildlife and learn about conservation with the San Diego Zoo
- Enter the Plasma Chamber and watch illuminating demonstrations
- Build and launch your own rocket
- Sit and read a book to a Love On A Leash dog
- Plant native seeds in CSUSM's Ethnobotany Garden
- Watch the "Better than Magic Show" with Chemistry demonstrations at 10:30AM, 1PM or 3PM in ARTS 240
- Discover the power of static electricity in the hair-raising fun of "Electrify Me!"
- Watch the "The Amazing World of Physics Show" at 11:30AM or 2PM in ARTS 240
- Visit with the Society of Physics Students and watch rocket launches every 20 minutes
- Learn how to use a map and compass and watch how trained search & rescue dogs work
- Rubik's Cube Competition: See Rubik's athletes complete the cube… some in under a minute! Meet the competitors and learn first-hand how you too can solve the cube!
- You Be the Chemist! Challenge: The Chemical Educational Foundation will be hosting their regional competition in the USU Ballroom at noon. Come watch local students compete for a spot at the National Competition!
- Meet local scientists and engineers and hear about their fascinating research.
- Don't be in the dark about electricity!
- Learn about the inner workings of the human brain.
- Understand the importance of our local sustainable aquaculture industry.
- Purchase lunch or snacks from local food trucks at the event, including Mr. Taco, Flippin' Pizza, and Cafe Catering
- Cool off with some shaved ice from Kona Ice or Italian Water Ices and Frozen Custard from Rita's Italian Ice
- Guests can also bring their own lunch to campus
- Are you a Girl Scout looking to complete requirements for your STEM-related Try-It, Badge or Journey? Visit the information booth on Kellogg Plaza for suggested activities to do at the festival that fulfill some badge requirements. Complete your requirements and earn a fun patch for the day! Boy Scouts can fullfill requirements for the Chemistry Merit Badge and Super Science (Bear Elective Adventure) badge.