Super STEM Saturday
Save the Date!
Saturday, March 14, 2015
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
FREE EVENT | No registration required | Rain or shine
at California State University San Marcos
333 South Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos
Explore interactive demonstrations and hands-on science activities at Super STEM Saturday, including rocket launches, build-a-robot stations, model displays, scientist chats and a obstacle course. The event is free and open to the public. Complimentary parking available in Lot F.
Super STEM Saturday is designed to expose and engage kids of all ages and their families to the diverse and exciting fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, known as the STEM disciplines. The brainchild of The Classical Academies and held in partnership with CSUSM, Super STEM Saturday has grown into a popular North County event that draws over 5,000 science enthusiasts each year to the university campus.
Here is a sneak peek at some of the fun...
- Play frisbee with a robot
- View the surface of the sun through special filtered solar telescopes
- Build your own robot using recycled materials, and learn how easy it is to do at home
- Discover how the perceived color of a juice influences our taste buds in "The Science of Taste"
- Enter the Plasma Chamber and watch illuminating demonstrations
- Get your heart pumping and challenge yourself in the Crazy Obstacle Challenge Course
- Build and launch your own rocket
- Get up-close and touch real fossils
- Plant native seeds in CSUSM's Ethnobotany Garden
- Discover the power of static electricity in the hair-raising fun of "Electrify Me!"
- Watch as rockets launch into the sky every 30 minutes
- Explore the fascintating features of solar cars
- See how the body moves as you tour CSUSM's state-of-the-art Biomechanics Lab
- Sign up for the Math Bowl to show off your math skills in this fast-paced math competition
- Rubik's Cube Competition: See Rubik's athletes complete the cube… some in under a minute! Meet the competitors and learn first-hand how you too can solve the cube!
- Meet local scientists and hear about their fascinating research
- Learn about the "Magic of Satellite Communications"
- Discover the brain of a robot and how software makes all the difference
- Recycle that old computer, television or electronic device that is taking up much-needed space in your home. CSUSM is hosting a free e-waste recycling event at Super STEM Saturday; attendees can drop off unwanted electronics at the collection site as they enter campus at the corner of Twin Oaks Valley Road and Craven Road (main campus entrance). Get more information...
- Purchase lunch or snacks from local food trucks at the event, including Mr. Taco, Flippin' Pizza, Fratelli's and others
- Cool off with some shaved ice from Kona Ice
- Need to quench your thirst? Enjoy complimentary water at the Palomar Mountain Water booth
- Guests can also bring their own lunch to campus
- Are you a Girl Scout looking to complete requirements for your STEM-related Try-It, Badge or Journey? Visit the information booth for suggested activities to do at the festival that fulfill some badge requirements.
Questions? Contact:Laurie Schmelzer