Information about the Student Conduct process at CSUSM

I was involved in an incident and have been referred to the Dean of Students Office; what does that mean?
The Dean of Students Office receives written reports from a member of the University community including faculty, University Police, and Residence Life if a student is accused of violating the Standards for Student Conduct. You will receive a letter and/or email to your CSUSM account from our office mandating that you call our office to schedule a disciplinary conference to discuss the allegation. This one-on-one conference with the Associate Dean of Students provides you with an opportunity explain what happened from your perspective.

I am a resident of the University Village Apartments or The QUAD and I was involved in an incident. I have already met with a Resident Director about the incident; why am I being referred to the Dean of Students Office too?
If you live on campus and are found in violation of housing policies, you may also be in violation of the Standards for Student Conduct. The Dean of Students Office works closely with Residence Life to determine the cases and students that must be referred for university conduct proceedings. It is important to know that the housing conduct process and the university conduct process are seperate, so students may have to go through both depending on the severity of the incident. Your behavior in the University Village Apartments and The QUAD may impact both your housing and student status at CSUSM. 

May I request information regarding my case over the telephone?
As a general rule, we do not provide such information over the phone because information regarding disciplinary matters is highly confidential, and we must be sure that we are providing the information to the correct person. If you have not already scheduled a conference with the Associate Dean of Students, you may call (760) 750-4935.

What happens if I don’t schedule a disciplinary conference with the Dean of Students Office after I receive a disciplinary letter?
If you fail to comply with the request to schedule a disciplinary conference, the Interim Assistant Dean may place a hold on your registration record prohibiting you from dropping or adding classes or obtaining a transcript. You may also be scheduled for a Formal Hearing. It is important for students to respond to letters from the Dean of Students Office regardless of plans to continue enrollment at CSUSM in the future.

Can someone attend the disciplinary conference with me?
Yes, you may ask another person to accompany you to the disciplinary conference. Under current University policy, that person may not be an attorney. However, nothing precludes you from consulting with an attorney prior to the disciplinary conference.  If you invite another person into the disciplinary conference you are providing authorization for that person to hear information about the allegation. You must be aware that separate discplinary conferences are scheduled for any students involved in the same disciplinary matter, including those who have been referred to the Dean of Students Office and/or who may have witnessed an incident being investigated by the Dean of Students Office.

I have an attorney, what is the attorney's role in the disciplinary process?
Students are encouraged to review Article III, Section D (Attorneys) of Executive Order 1098 to learn more about the role of attorneys in the Student Conduct process.  

Can my parents or another 3rd party obtain information from the Dean of Students Office about my case?
The issue in question is between you and the University. Your disciplinary proceedings are therefore confidential and protected by University policy based on federal law (for more information see FERPA). If a parent or another 3rd party contacts our office concerning a disciplinary matter, they will be referred back to you for clarification.

Our office will provide disciplinary information to your parents or another 3rd party if you have signed a Discipline File Release Form, authorizing us to do so.

Who has access to my disciplinary record?
Your disciplinary record is considered confidential. However, information concerning your disciplinary record may be available to appropriate University officials, faculty and/or staff who have a legitimate educational interest in such information. In addition, information regarding your disciplinary record may be released to other individuals or entities upon your written request or in accordance with state and federal law.

If I am placed on disciplinary probation, can I still hold office in a student organization?
Disciplinary probation may prevent you from participating in co-curricular leadership opportunities. Please see the memo Minimum Qualifications for Student Office Holders for additional information.

How long will my disciplinary record be maintained?
Most disciplinary records are maintained for at least seven years. Some records however are kept permanently, including those in which sanctions assessed include suspension, expulsion, denial or revocation of a degree, and/or withdrawal of a diploma.

If the violation also involves an alleged crime, can I also be prosecuted through the criminal courts as well as being referred to the Dean of Students Office?
Yes, the violation may result in an investigation by both the University and the courts.

How can I have a hold lifted from my record?
You will need to call the Dean of Students Office at (760) 750-4935. Generally, the hold means that you have either failed to respond to the disciplinary letter or you have failed to fulfill other obligations concerning a disciplinary case including mandated sanctions. The request to remove a hold may take at least 2-3 business days to be completed.

What steps do I take to complete questions on applications or reference forms about disciplinary records?
You will need to bring the form to the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students Office is located in University Student Union 3500. You will need to bring an official photo ID, the signed form, and a stamped, addressed envelope. If the form does not have a signed release allowing us to provide information of that nature, you will be asked to sign a release in our office. Generally, these forms are processed within 72 hours.

How can I report a suspected violation of the Student Conduct Code?
If you have reason to believe that a student may have violated University policies, you may contact the Dean of Students Office at (760) 750-4935. Arrangements can be made for you to meet with the Interim Assistant Dean of Students, who will discuss the situation with you and inform you of your options.

Will I be able to know the outcome of another student’s disciplinary matter?
We will only release information when required to do so by state or federal law and Executive Order 1098.

What if I am accused of academic dishonesty?
If you are accused of academic dishonesty, you will have an opportunity to speak to your instructor about the allegation. If you understand that you have committed an act of dishonesty, it is best to admit to doing so and to apologize to the professor. It will not prevent the instructor from assessing a lower academic grade; however it is the honorable thing for you to do. Under the University policy on academic honesty, the professor may assess a sanction ranging from an oral reprimand to an F in the course.

The professor will also refer the matter to the Dean of Students Office.

Where may I find out more information about the Student Conduct process?
Please see California State University Executive Order 1098.