Who We Are
Extended Learning at Cal State San Marcos serves as the academic outreach arm of the university. As an integral part of the institution’s Academic and Student Affairs division, its purpose is to extend the academic and instructional resources of the institution to the region it serves and expand access for audiences that the University may not be able to serve through traditional channels. Extended Learning develops and delivers high quality educational programs—both noncredit and credit—which are designed to respond to the educational needs of the diverse populations in the region and assist these constituent groups in achieving their lifelong learning goals.
In an effort to achieve its mission, Extended Learning builds its programs, activities, and services upon six fundamental objectives:
- Provide continuing education and training opportunities for professional groups and key industry clusters in the region
- Provide opportunities for members of the general community to pursue continuing education and lifelong learning goals
- Assist the University in meeting its enrollment, service, and access goals through creative, flexible, and responsive self-support academic programming
- Serve as a conduit to the University for degree-bound students who have not achieved matriculation status
- Encourage and support University faculty to develop new and innovative courses and programs
- Build partnerships with various communities throughout the region in order to identify and solve mutual concerns
Extended Learning is the premier provider of continuing education, training, and lifelong learning programs for individuals in North San Diego and Southwest Riverside Counties and beyond. It will use its resources and capabilities in ways that demonstrate imagination, creativity, and entrepreneurship in meeting the unique educational needs of individuals, and will do so in ways that are ethical, prudent, customer-focused, and academically sound. Increasingly, Extended Learning will provide a vital link between the University and members of the community, making a positive difference for both through its commitment to lifelong learning.
Extended Learning has at its core the same values that guide the University:
- Intellectual Engagement: learning, teaching, discovery, and application of knowledge
- Community: shared commitments to service, teamwork, and partnership
- Integrity: respect, honesty, trust, fairness, academic freedom and responsibility
- Innovation: creativity, openness to change, flexibility, responsiveness, and future focus
- Inclusiveness: individual and cultural diversity, and multiple perspectives