Completion of the prerequisites is a major component of the admission requirements for the M.A. Education with the Option in Communicative Sciences and Disorders. The following courses, or their equivalent, must be completed at the time of application with a grade of C+ or higher. For courses currently in progress, proof of current enrollment must be provided at time of application* (proof can be emailed or faxed to your assigned Advisor.)
*Students who would like to speak with an advisor and receive an Advising Worksheet for the M.A. Education, CSD program must compete the M.A. application.
EDSL 150 Introduction to Communicative Sciences and
EDSL 201 Hearing Disorders and Measurement
EDSL 260 Diagnostics for Speech Language Pathologists
EDSL 320 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and
EDSL 351 Language Development and Assessment for
EDSL 357 The Science of Speech and Hearing
EDSL 364 Cultural Diversity in Schooling
EDSL 391 Clinical Phonetics and Analysis of Disordered
EDSL 473 Adult Neurogenic Communication Disorders
EDUC 380 Applications in Child and Youth Development
Math 242 Introduction to Statistics
Admission into the M.A. Education with the Option in Communicative Sciences and Disorders program requires meeting the general admission requirements for graduate studies at CSUSM and these additional components:
- Bachelor Degree, including undergraduate coursework in basic science (as required for the prerequisites)
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 3.0
- Completion of prerequisite courses and checklist (see above)
- Proof of completion of Basic Skills Requirement (click here for more information)
- All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language must satisfy the English language proficiency requirement (see more details below)
- Two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant's capacity for academic and professional success. One letter should be from an academic source and one should be from a professional source (Letters must be specific to the CSD program; letters must indicate whether it is an academic or professional recommendations);
*Letters of Recommendation must be submitted using the CSD Recommendation Form
- Proof of Certificate of Clearance** (click here for FAQ on Certificate of Clearance)
- A copy of an essay paper written specifically for a college level course. The paper should be a minimum of five pages in length. (Please note that the subject does not matter; the paper is to illustrate writing proficiency)
- Personal Essay prompt: Please tell us how might you deal with a child in your school who needs your services but does not qualify based on your testing measure.
• Must Be One Page
• Times New Roman, 12 PT Font
• Double Space
- Pre-screening Process
**For those out-of-state applicants, please click here to find out how to obtain your Certificate of Clearance and fulfill the Basic Skills Requirement.
Candidates who meet the requirements will be invited for an interview with a panel of admissions advisors. This interview is an opportunity to ensure this program is a good match for the participant and vice versa.