SLP Program Requirements
Admission into the CSUSM M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology program requires meeting the general admission requirements for graduate studies at CSUSM and these additional components:
- Bachelor Degree in CSD, including basic science requirements* (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Social Science, and Statistics) OR Bachelors degree in another field with basic science requirements and CSD prerequisite courses. The coursework checklist identifies requirements for students applying to this program.
- A minimum undergraduate OR last 60 units if post baccalaureate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
- All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who do not possess a bachelor's degree from a post-secondary institution where English is the principal language must satisfy the English language proficiency requirement (see more details in Step 4 of the SLP Application Instructions)
- Two letters of recommendation are required to apply to the MA Program. Please follow the instructions under Applying To CSDCAS, Step 4, SLP Application Instructions. Please do NOT submit letters of recommendation directly to the University.
- Personal Essay prompt: The 2016 writing prompt will be available in October 2015. Your essay must be submitted as part of your CSDCAS application. There is a limit of 5500 characters for this field.
Optional Interview: Candidates may be invited for an interview with a panel of faculty or admissions advisors. This interview is an opportunity to ensure this program is a good match for the student and vice versa.
Basic Science Requirements*
In accordance with the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) 2014 certification standards, applicants must have demonstrated knowledge of the biological sciences, physical sciences, statistics, and the social/behavorial sciences (standard IV-A).
EDSL 201 Hearing Disorders and Measurement
EDSL 260 Diagnostics for Speech Language Pathologists (Formerly titled EDSL 360)
EDSL 320 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism (OR BIO 320)
EDSL 351 Language Development and Assessment for Practitioners (Formerly titled EDSL 551)
EDSL 357 The Science of Speech and Hearing (OR PHYS 357)
EDSL 364 Cultural Diversity in Schooling (OR EDUC 364 OR ID 340)
EDSL 391 Clinical Phonetics and Analysis of Disordered Speech
EDSL 473 Adult Neurogenic Communication Disorders
EDUC 380 Applications in Child and Youth Development (OR PSYC 330)
MATH 242 Introduction to Statistics (OR PSYC 220)
Click here to download the Prerequisite Checklist. This must be submitted with your application
**For courses currently in progress, please indicate "IP" on your coursework checklist and provide proof of current enrollment at time of application (proof can be emailed or faxed to your assigned Advisor). For courses planned but not enrolled, please indicate "IP".**
Please note: You must apply to BOTH CSUSM and Communicative Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application System (CSDCAS)