CSUSM School of Education M.A. in Education, Focus on LiteracyHighly effective literacy teachers of monolingual and multilingual students…
- Understand major historical and contemporary theories and empirical research that describe the cognitive, linguistic, motivational, developmental and sociocultural foundations of reading and writing development, processes, and components,
- Appreciate the role of professional judgment in order to use foundational and historically shared knowledge to design or implement an integrated, comprehensive, and balanced literacy curriculum.
- Create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing by integrating foundational knowledge, instructional practices, approaches and methods, authentic literature, curriculum materials, and the appropriate use of assessments.
- Use a wide range of texts (e.g., narrative, expository, and poetry) from traditional print, digital, and online resources for a wide range of purposes and students’ needs.
- Use a variety of assessment information to plan and evaluate instruction [intervention and enrichment principle]
- Learn how to teach English literacy by harnessing students’ primary language knowledge base to enable them to develop competency in the English language arts and to develop understanding of content across the curriculum.
- Develop proficiency for themselves and their students with the tools of technology to gather, synthesize, critically evaluate information and to create and communicate knowledge. [digital literacy principle]
- Display positive dispositions related to their own reading and writing and the teaching of reading and writing, and pursue the development of individual professional knowledge and behaviors.
- Participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated literacy programs for students and professional development programs.
- Develop and investigate questions, examine assumptions and beliefs, collect and analyze data to improve their teaching and students’ learning.
- Understand and influence local, state, or national policy decisions.
- Develop and implement strategies to advocate for equity, excellence and social justice for all students.