How to Apply
We are currently not accepting applications for this program. Please check this page for updates!
Admissions are processed on a rolling basis. The Extended Learning Evaluation Team makes admissions decisions, which will be done only with a complete application package.
A complete application package contains:
- a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) Program Application
- paid Program Application fee
- all official, hard copy transcripts from all institutions attended
- Associate level RN degree conferred
All prospective students are required to submit a Prorgam Application. Submission of the Program Application will allow the School of Nursing and Extended Learning to provide each prospective student with an educational plan for program acceptance. Each applicant will receive an individualized advising worksheet showing course requirements completed and outstanding requirements that need to be met.
Once you have submitted the Application online, you will be prompted to pay a $50.00 non-refundable Program Application Fee. The fee must be submitted online at the time of submission of the pre-admission advising application. Applications will not be processed until the advising fee has been paid. You should receive both an email confirming your application submission and your payment.
Note: Should you be offered admission into this program, you will be asked to pay a $250 "intent to enroll" fee upon acceptance.This fee will be credited towards your first semester's fees.
Official, hard copy transcripts should be sent to:
California State University San Marcos
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd.
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001
Attn: RN to BSN
Please note: For your initial evaluation please compile allofficial, hard copy transcripts from each college and university attended in one single package. This prevents any delay of the evaluation/admissions process. It is preferred that all transcripts are collected and mailed together in one single package. Please ensure that all official, hard copy transcripts from all colleges and universities attended have been sent directly from the institution to the student's home address. Once you receiveall official, hard copy transcripts, please mail them to Extended Learning at the address listed above. Please do not open the transcripts or they will be deemed "unofficial".
International Student Admissions Requirements
For all Extended Learning degree programs, "foreign students" include those who hold U.S. visas as students, exchange visitors, or in other nonimmigrant classifications. You must submit academic records from foreign institutions. The original foreign transcript must be on file and if they are not written in English, they must be accompanied by certified English translations. In addition, all foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the eight approved CSUSM foreign transcript evaluation agencies. Please visit this link to obtain the list of the eight approved CSUSM foreign transcript evaluation agencies. A course by course evaluation is requested from one of the eight approved CSUSM foreign transcript evaluation agencies. Please note that the evaluation and the original foreign transcript must be submitted to Extended Learning.
International students, please note: With a part-time RN-BSN, RN-MSN, MSN program Cal State San Marcos will not be able to sponsor F-1 students as the requirement to be an F-1 is full-time student status. However, the program will still be open to other non-immigrant visa holders who do not need an I-20 document for their status (including H-1 and E-1).
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
As required by Sections 40752.1, 40802.1, and 41040 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, campuses of the California State University require that English competence be established by applicants for admission who have not attended for at least three years an education institution at the secondary level or beyond where English is the principal language of instruction. Most frequently, such students document competence in the English language via results on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This test (TOEFL) has been and is available in three scoring formats.
Provided below are the CSU minimum scores for each TOEFL total score format:
Applications are accepted on a rolling-basis. The Pre-Admission Advising Application and official, hard copy transcripts may be submitted anytime. Evaluations will be completed as Pre-Admission Advising Applications and transcripts are received.
Completion of the required GE, BRN-required courses, and other CSUSM graduation requirements can be completed while you are in the program.
Background Check and Drug Screen Policy
(RN BSN and Collaborative Track)
- All students are required to complete a background check upon conditional admission to the School of Nursing.1 Students who have a flagged background check will not be admitted to the nursing program. Students will be able to join a later cohort pending Space Available when their background check is unflagged.
- All students are required to complete a Nursing Consortium background check and drug screen prior to their first nursing clinical course. An additional background check and drug screen may be required by the School of Nursing at a later time during the program. Students are required to have a negative urine drug screening and background check which includes a state, county, and federal screening. This background check is accessed by the clinical agencies for approval for clinical placement. If a student receives a dilute reading on his/her drug screen results, then the student is required to go back and re-test within a twenty-four hour time period. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in dismissal from the program.
- Some clinical sites will require students to complete a Live Scan clearance. If the student does not clear the Live Scan process, then s/he may not be permitted to attend the clinical rotation. The student risks dismissal from the program should this occur.
1 The Office of Extended Learning will mail each student in the cohort a letter of conditional admission. Soon after, students will receive a letter with instructions on how to place an order for a background check/drug screen. Students will have approximately two weeks to order their background check online and complete the drug screen. If this deadline is not met, the student will not be guaranteed a seat in the cohort.
Approved: November 26, 2012 Faculty Meeting
All students must provide proof of current healthcare insurance to the School of Nursing by the designated deadline. The deadline information will be provided at the School of Nursing orientation session. This is a mandatory requirement.
Application to the University
Students admitted to the RN to BSN program will be required to submit an admission application to CSUSM via CSU Mentor.NOTE: DO NOT APPLY TO THE UNIVERSITY UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE RN to BSN PROGRAM! The CSU Application Fee of $55 in U.S. funds is required for each new CSU application filed. The fee is non-refundable and may not be transferred to another term at any campus. The fee is required for each campus to which you apply.