Cal State San Marcos Extended Learning is an approved education provider for federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding. The following programs are fully funded for those individuals who are currently in transition, registered at a local San Diego County America’s Job Center or SW Riverside County Workforce Development Center and meet eligibility requirements. Visit the Cal Jobs webpage for the latest list of approved programs, and follow the link for Job Seekers.
The Workforce Investment Act (WIOA) is a federally funded training and job program that creates a new approach, providing workforce investment activities through statewide and local systems. Authorized workforce investment activities provided at the local level benefit job seekers, dislocated workers, youth, foster care participants, incumbent workers, new entrants to the workforce, veterans, persons with disabilities, and employers. These activities promote an increase in employment, job retention, earnings, and occupational skill attainment by participants. This outcome improves the quality of the workforce, reduces welfare dependency, and enhances the productivity and competitiveness of the nation.
Many people can qualify for WIOA grants. Workforce funding is generally budgeted into Adult, Dislocated Worker, Older Youth and Younger Youth categories. The majority of funding is budgeted toward adult and dislocated workers whose current job skills are out of date or will be soon. Clients seek training to update current skills or learn skills for a new career if his or her current occupation is not in demand.
1) Start at your local Career Center and meet with a counselor.
America’s Job Center of California: www.americasjobcenter.ca.gov
County of Riverside Economic Development Agency: www.rivcoeda.org
2) Once you have the RESEARCH FORM from the career counselor, contact CSUSM to schedule a 20-30 minute appointment on-campus, to go over your research form and discuss your specific PROGRAM PLAN.
- Bryana Ramos, 760-750-8778 or email@example.com for ON-LINE COURSES
- Chelsey Novak, 760-750-8704 or firstname.lastname@example.org for CLASSROOM COURSES
What to bring to your appointment?
-RESEARCH PAPER from the career counselor.
-Counselor contact information (name, location, email, and phone number)
-Any research you have already done on your program of interest.
3) Once you have met with a CSUSM representative and completed the RESEARCH FORM, you will return it to your career counselor. IF approved, the career center will generate funding paperwork that will need to be returned to the CSUSM campus for signature by the appropriate coordinator. You will also be registered at that time.
Questions? Please contact us