This 8-week online course is designed to benefit both the RN who is new to palliative care and the RN who has been working in palliative care and would like a "refresher" or additional preparation prior to taking the CHPN exam. The course is comprised of eight individual modules developed by experts in palliative care. Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses (CHPN) and Advanced Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses (ACHPN) will teach the program.
- Module One: Introduction, History and Philosophy of Palliative Care
- Module Two: Common Disease States in Palliative Care
- Module Three: Pain Management Issues
- Module Four: Symptom Management Issues Part One
- Module Five: Symptom Management Issues Part Two
- Module Six: Special Populations and Settings of Care
- Module Seven: Grief and Bereavement
- Module Eight: Professional Practice Issues/Ethical Concerns/Self Care
Participants will be expected to complete one module each week, with the entire program taking a total of eight weeks. The program is asynchronous, which allows participants to complete the course work on their own time with assignments due at the end of each week. Participants can expect to spend eight to ten hours a week on the reading and assignments for the course.
Course work includes activities designed to enhance learning through question/answer sessions, interactive case studies, opportunities for students to apply knowledge in virtual palliative care contexts, and the ability to interact with fellow participants in an online community cohort.
All participants who proficiently complete the course work will receive a certificate of completion from the CSU Institute for Palliative Care at California State University San Marcos.