Diversity IQ Quiz
Please print, complete, and bring quiz to the Minority Leadership Development Workshop on June 6th, 2012.
DIVERSITY IQ QUIZ
1. San Diego County is home to more federally recognized Native American tribes than any other county in the United States. How many Native American tribes call San Diego County home?
2. The U.S. Census Bureau recently reported that interracial marriages are at all time high, with 1/12 marriages now being between people of different races. The Western part of the U.S. (California, Washington and Oregon) reported the highest percentage of interracial marriages. What is that percentage?
3. Female students outnumber males in enrollment nationally at US colleges and universities. What is the percentage of female students at Cal State San Marcos?
4. The Pride Center was established in 2007 to provide a safe, inclusive, and affirming space for diverse LGBTQ individuals. Who currently serves as the Director of the LGBTQA Pride Center?
A. Floyd Lai
B. Robert Aiello-Hauser
C. Rodger D’Andreas-Wahl
D. Lea Burgess-Carland
5. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, San Marcos was the fastest growing city in San Diego County during the last ten years (2000-2010). What is the percentage that San Marcos’s population grew during this period?
6. What percentage of Cal State San Marcos’s full-time & tenured-track faculty are women?
7. The Hispanic population was the fastest growing population nationally from 2000-2010. According to the 2010 U.S. Census., what percentage of San Diego County residents are Hispanic?
8. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, what percentage of Asian-Americans over the age of 25 hold a bachelor’s degree?
9. In 2012 gay marriage was approved in two states. What are those two states?
A. Oregon and New Jersey
B. New York and Massachusetts
C. Washington and Maryland
D. Iowa and Hawaii
10. Cal State San Marcos has 5 divisions, 4 of which are headed by female vice presidents. Which division is NOT headed by a female?
A. Student Affairs
C. Community Engagement
D. Academic Affairs
11. San Diego County’s minority population continued its strong growth over the past decade. What percentage of San Diego County residents are minority according to the 2010 U.S. Census?
12. San Diego County has long been an area with a strong military presence. How many major military installations call San Diego County home?
13. What percentage of Cal State San Marcos graduates remain in the region post graduation?
14. What is the percentage of Americans who hold a bachelor’s degree?
15. The African-American population in San Diego County decreased from 6% to 5% from 2000 to 2010. What number below reflects the African-American population in San Diego County in 2010?
16. The Office of Disabled Student Services (DSS) is committed to providing opportunities for higher education to students with disabilities and to making the programs, activities and facilities at Cal State San Marcos fully accessible to students with disabilities. Who is the current Director of Disabled Student Services?
A. Scott Gross
B. Matt Ceppi
C. Lorena Meza
D. John Segoria
17. Cal State San Marcos is the only campus within the California State University or University of California systems with a tribal liaison and was the first University to establish a Native American Advisory Council. Who currently serves as Tribal Liaison?
A. Tommy Devers
B. Tishmall Turner
C. Joely Proudfit
D. Michael Murphy
18. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is only required to accommodate a "known" disability of a qualified applicant or employee.
19. According to a January 2012 article in the Wall Street Journal, what percentage of Fortune 500 companies currently has a chief diversity officer?
20. The African-American Initiative is a partnership between the CSU system and California churches that serve a predominantly African-American congregation. The goal of the initiative is to increase the college preparation, enrollment and graduation rates of African-American students. Which of the following programs is NOT a part of the African-American Initiative?
A. Super Sunday
B. Super Saturday
C. College Bound San Diego
D. Summer Math Academies
21. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, women comprised what percentage of the U.S. labor force in 2010?
22. In a recent study called “Completing the Mission: A Pilot Study of Veteran Students’ Progress Toward Degree Attainment in the Post 9/11 Era,” what was the first-to-second-year retention rate for veterans from fall 2010 to spring 2011?
3. What country is home to the world’s largest Muslim population?
A. Saudia Arabia
24. California’s population has undergone tremendous demographic change over the past 30 years. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, what percentage of California residents identify as non-Hispanic whites?
25. In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures?
* Bonus Questions
I. According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey, California is home to how many American Indian and Alaska Natives?
II. In 2011, what two African-American actresses were nominated for Academy Awards for their roles in “The Help?”
A. Halle Berry and Cicely Tyson
B. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer
C. Oprah Winfrey and Whoopi Goldberg
D. Keri Washington and Jennifer Hudson