Unit 11 Academic Student Employees 

FAQs for Hiring Departments 

1.  Where can I find an overview of the Unit 11 Hiring
CLICK HERE -  Unit 11 Hiring Procedures Sheet

2.  Which form do I use in order to hire Unit 11 
      Instructional Student Assistants, Graduate
      Assistants or Teaching Associates?

     The Academic Transaction Form (ATF)
     printed on BLUE paper.    

3.  What does the Unit 11 Collective Bargaining
      Agreement (CBA) require the Hiring Department
      to issue each Unit 11 employee?

  • Appointment Notification Letter (ANL) or, for TAs only, a Statement of Terms and Conditions of Appointment (STCA)
  • Job Description (JD)

4.  Where can I find templates for these forms?
    Job Descriptions templates can be found on the FORMS  
    page.  The ANL/STCA and ATF are available in the
    Unit 11 File Maker Pro Data Bases available through
    the Faculty Affairs Office.    

5.  After gathering the appropriate department and
     college approvals on the forms, where do I send

  • Send all documents to your designated staff person in the Dean's Office who will forward them to the Office of Faculty Affairs (CRA-5205) to obtain the Interim AVP for Faculty Affairs signature.

6.  What else is required of Hiring Departments? 

  • Post all Open Hire Unit 11 positions on Cougar Jobs;
  • Ensure each applicant completes an Application (See FORMS page);
  • Provide written notification to all Unit 11 employees within the first 14 days of his/her appointment period
    if an employment evaluation will  take place;
  • Notify the Interim AVP for Faculty Affairs as soon as possible, and no later than 15 days prior to an orientation, if your Unit 11 employees will participate in any orientation sessions;
  • Follow the procedures for hiring to ensure all hiring documents are provided to the designated staff person in the Office of Faculty Affairs, CRA 5205 for placement in the employee's personnel file.

7.  Does the Unit 11 CBA provide any guidance regarding
      disciplining and/or terminating employees?

     Yes, please refer to Article 6 of the CBA.

Please direct any other Unit 11 student employment questions to Michelle Hunt, Interim AVP for Faculty Affairs at Ext. 8820  or  mihunt@csusm.edu



Instructional Student Assistant (ISA)

Teaching Associate (TA)

Graduate Assistant (GA)






Michelle Hunt
Interim AVP
for Faculty Affairs
Ext. 8820
Email:  mihunt@csusm.edu