Sabbatical leaves shall be for purposes that provide a benefit to CSUSM through scholarly research or creative activity, instructional improvement and/or faculty retraining. Such activities provide a crucial benefit to the instructional needs of CSUSM by improving the competency and enthusiasm of the faculty, by keeping the faculty up-to-date in their fields, and by bringing new ideas and concepts to the campus which will be shared with students and other faculty in and out of the classroom. Sabbatical activities also benefit society and promote the reputation of the university by giving CSUSM faculty a chance to refine ideas developed at CSUSM and spread them to the national and international creative, scholarly and educational communities. More info...
May of year before request process begins
- The Office of Faculty Affairs notifies eligible faculty.
- NEAC constitutes the Professional Leave Committee
Last business day of September
- Applications due elctronically by 5:00 PM to the Office of Faculty Affairs.
First business day of October
- The Office of Faculty Affairs requests impact statement from the department (or equivalent unit).
Last business day of October
- Professional Leave Committee forwards recommendations to Vice President for Academic Affairs with copy to applicant.
- Impact statements due to Vice President for Academic Affairs with a copy to applicant.
Last day of Fall semester
- President's designee notifies candidates of sabbatical decisions with copies to the department (or equivalent unit), the Dean and the Office of Academic Senate for the Professional Leave Committee.
The CSUSM Faculty Affairs Calendar can be found at http://www.csusm.edu/fa/
For any questions regarding the Sabbatical Leave, please contact CSUSM Faculty AffairsFaculty Leave Workshop (Sabbatical): Please visit the FC Calendar
This workshop gives faculty an opportunity to hear about application best practices, as well as bring questions and concerns about the process.