Words & Terminology to Know when dealing with FERPA
- Academic Record, Custodian of - Director, Registration & Records
- CSUSM Student Records & Custodians - Look under record interested in
- Discipline Record, Custodian of - Dean of Students Office
- Educational Record - Any record (handwriting, print, tapes, film or other medium) maintained by a CSUSM staff member or agent of the university which is directly related to a student.
- Financial Aid, Custodian of - Director, Financial Aid & Scholarships
- Legitimate Educational Interest - Conditions when faculty or staff members have a legal “right to know” the contents of a student’s record. Conditions relate to student education, discipline, necessary student service, and health and safety issues.
- Parent - Legally recognized parents and guardians or someone authorized to act in place of a parent
- Placement Record, Custodian of - Director, Career Center
- Public Safety Record, Custodian of - Chief of Police
- Record Not listed - Contact the Director, R & R
- Student - Any student enrolled in an institution of higher education
- Student Payroll Record, Custodian of - Director, Human Resources