About Box @ CSUSM
CSUSM is moving away from local campus storage drives (department shares and H: drive) to Box.
What is Box (aka cloud storage)? Box is a user-friendly, enterprise-level cloud-based storage service that provides a simple, secure way to store and share files and folders online. Box consolidates your content into a single location, one that is easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite others to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content by using on-line comments, tasks, and discussions with all your collaborators.
- Simple file management where you store and organize your documents, media, and other content on line;
- Easy access to your content from anywhere, anytime, on any device;
- Cloud storage of 50 gigabytes for all CSUSM faculty and staff;
- Secure online file sharing and collaboration with anyone
How do I access my files on Box?
- Via a Web Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or Safari)
- Via a Mobile Device
- Install a Box App. Go to your device's app store and download one of the IITS recommended free Apps from Box:
- iOS - "Box for iPhone" and "Box for iPad"
- Android - "Box for Android" and Box for Android Tablet"
- Via a Desktop or Laptop
- Install a Box App. Login to your Box account and download one of the IITS recommended free Apps from Box:
- "Box Edit", Box for Office", "Box Sync for Windows", Box Sync for Mac".
What type of files shouldn't be stored on Box?
- Your personal files, including pictures, videos, music, etc.
- Protected Level 1 data, also known as Personal Identifiable Information (PII) as it needs encyrption.
- Examples of Level 1 data (per CSU Policy #8065) - Confidential information includes but is not limited to:
- Passwords or credentials that grant access to level 1 and level 2 data
- Birth date combined with last four digits of SSN and name
- Credit card numbers with cardholder name
- Driver's license number, state identification cards, and other forms of national or international identifications (such as passports, visas, etc.) in combination with name
- Social Security number and name
File and Folder Limitations
- The maximum file size for uploading an individual file to your Campus Box account is 4GB using Internet Explorer versions 9, 10 and 11. Other browsers maybe able to upload 5GBs.
- No single folder can contain more that 8,000 files. For best performance, have at most 2,000 files in one folder.
- Folder names can't be longer than 100 characters.
- File paths can't be longer than 255 characters.
- No two folders within the same parent can have the same name. For example, the "Magical Creatures" folder can have only one "Unicorn" folder.
- File and folder names cannot have leading spaces. So "_narwhals" will need to be renamed to "narwhals".
- Certain characters are not allowed in Box file or folder names: \ /" : < > ] * ?
What can't be migrated to Box?
- Outlook PST files
- Windows shortcuts
- Folders starting with a dot (.)
- Database files
- Temporary files (.temp. files starting with ~ character)
- System and hidden files
- Quickbook/Quicken files
Don't have a Box @ CSUSM account?
No problem! Just go to http://www.csusm.box.com, click the 'Continue' button to the right to get started. Enter your campus username and password.
Need Box Training?
Log on to this new link to view Box Training Snippets and choose from 10 Box training topics or email Margie Kidd (email@example.com) to set up a training appointment