Attending college is an exciting experience that will allow you to grow in many aspects
of your life and open many opportunities to you. Sometimes getting started may seem
a bit scary and difficult as there are many decisions to make and transitions to experience,
but there are people and programs available to help you.
Summer Academy at Cal State San Marcos provides you with the opportunity to get a head start on your transition to college
and prepare you for success during the most critical year of your college experience.
In order to provide you with a foundation for success during your first year at Cal State San Marcos, First-Year Programs has developed three structured summer programs that stress academic
excellence in english and mathematics while building community within a very supportive environment.
As a student entering the academic community at Cal State San Marcos, you have the unique opportunity to participate in one of the two summer options,
based upon your own personal academic needs.
Options for Summer Academy
GEL 110 & 010A: Quantitative Skills for College Success
- GEL 110 & 010A will help you strengthen your college level math skills
- GEL 110 & 010A will give you the opportunity to retake the ELM to get a better score
and bypass up to three semesters of mandatory math courses that do not count toward
- GEL 110 & 010A will prepare you for the math courses you will need to take towards
- GEL 110 & 010A are taught by experts in the field who are trained to teach college
level mathematics courses
- GEL 110 & 010A will give you access to our state-of-the-art computer labs
GEL 120: Reading & Writing for College Success
- GEL 120 will help you strengthen your college level reading and writing skills and
prepare you for the All-University Writing Requirement
- GEL 120 will help prepare you for the general education writing course, GEW 101, you
must take in the Fall semester
- GEL 120 is taught by experts trained to teach college level reading and writing skills
- GEL 120 will give you access to our state-of-the-art Writing Center
Taking a Summer Academy course will allow you to...
- Start college early and earn credits that will count toward your graduation during
- Receive a comprehensive introduction to the Cal State San Marcos campus community
What you will need to do to take advantage of this opportunity is...
- Register for GEL 110 & 010A or GEL 120
Program Expectations for Summer Academy Participants
In order for you to attain the maximum benefit of Summer Academy to your college career
at Cal State San Marcos, you must be committed to attend class daily and come prepared for each day's activities.
We are pleased that you will be joining us at Cal State San Marcos and are committed to helping you make your transition to college a successful one.