While different GEW sections might feature its own theme, different readings, and
different essay topics, all GEW sections on campus have some universal requirements.
Below, you will see what all GEW professors will require of their students here at
- All GEW 101 and 50 students write two major essays during the semester, one a rhetorical/textual
analysis essay and the other a research based argument/textual analysis essay. The
two major essays must total a minimum of fifteen pages and count for 50% of the course
grade. GEW students must produce a minimum of thirty pages of polished writing in
this course, fifteen pages of which must be revised writing.
- In addition to the two major essays, GEW students write sequenced ancillary or mini-essays,
the number determined by individual instructors as each instructor assesses the needs
of his or her students.
Writing Center Requirements:
- GEW students must visit the Writing Center a minimum of two times during the semester.
Textbook Requirements for Academic Years 2016-2018:
Required Composition and Rhetoric Textbook:
All GEW Faculty are required to use one primary composition and rhetoric textbook
from the approved list:
- Everything’s an Argument (Without Readings), 7th Edition. Andrea A. Lunsford; John J. Ruszkiewicz, Bedford/St. Martin’s, 978-1-4576-9867-5
- Praxis, 3rd Edition. Carol Lea Clark, Fountainhead Press, 978-1-59871-950-5
- So What?: The Writer’s Argument. Kurt Schick and Laura Schubert, Oxford, 9780199949076
Required Nonfiction or Memoir Text:
All GEW Faculty are required to use one of the following nonfiction/memoir texts from
the approved list, or/and one or more of the texts from the Fountainhead Press V-Series or Bedford/St. Martin's Spotlight Series:
Including fiction is optional; however, any GEW faculty who includes fiction in his
or her class must use one of the approved texts:
- 40 Short Stories, 4th Edition. Beverly Lawn, Bedford/St. Martin’s, 1457604752
- Bloodchild. Octavia Butler, Seven Stories Press, 1583226988
- God Help the Child. Toni Morrison, Vintage, 0307740927
- Monster. Dean Myers, Amistad, 0064407314
- Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen. Marilyn Chin, Norton, 0393331458
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Sherman Alexie, Little, 0316013697
- The Faith Healer of Olive Avenue. Manuel Muñoz, Algonquin Books, 1565125320