Enrollment Requirements 

Medical Tests and Vaccinations

All students must show proof of vaccination against Mumps, Measles, and Rubella.  Students admitted to the University will be sent a medical form, which they can have completed by their physician before coming to the United States. If a student arrives without proof of vaccination against Mumps, Measles, and Rubella they are given one semester to obtain proof. They cannot enroll for the second semester without receiving these vaccinations.

International students must be tested for Tuberculosis in the six-month period prior to entering the United States, or within one year prior to entering the University if they have been living in the United States. If an international student arrives without proof of a Tuberculosis test, they will be required to be tested by the CSU San Marcos Health Center upon arrival. Any student who tests positive for Tuberculosis will be required to have an x-ray, and if this indicates active Tuberculosis the student will be required to take prescribed medication. A student who does not comply with these regulations will not be permitted to enroll.

Medical Insurance

As a condition for receiving an I-20, all F-1 visa applicants must agree to obtain and maintain medical insurance for the duration of their student status. The California State University system requires that medical insurance policies conform to the following conditions:

  1. The policy must be valid for each entire semester of enrollment;
  2. The medical benefit must be for at least $100,000 per illness or injury;
  3. The maximum deductible can be no more than $100 per illness or injury;
  4. The repatriation benefit must be at least $7,500;
  5. The medical evacuation benefit must be at least $10,000;

CSU San Marcos offers a policy that provides the required coverage, which includes access to student health services on campus. The cost of this coverage is $742 for a year. Application forms are available from the Office of University Global Education or from the International Admissions Office.

Students who wish to purchase medical insurance independently or who have medical insurance coverage from their home country must provide a copy of the policy in English showing that the policy meets all of the above-stated criteria.

International students will not be permitted to register without proof of medical insurance.

Tuition Requirement

California law requires all nonresident students (which includes all international students on F-1 and J-1 visas) to pay tuition in addition to the State University Fee paid by all students. Tuition is payment for the cost of instruction, which California residents are not required to pay. The nonresident tuition fee is $339 per credit unit.

Tuition requirements and regulations apply to all nonresident students, whether they come from another state in the U.S. of from another country. Under certain circumstances, some international students who are on visas other than F-1 or J-1 (e.g., H-4) may qualify for resident status after a certain period of time in the state. Please check with the Office of Global Education to determine if you are eligible for resident status.

Refund of Tuition Policy

International students should pay special attention to the refund policy governing nonresident tuition. That policy states that if nonresident students drop a class during the add/drop period at the beginning of each semester they will receive a full refund of the tuition paid for those credit units. However, if a class is dropped after the end of the add/drop period there will be no refund of any portion of the nonresident tuition.

A nonresident student who drops all classes and withdraws from the university after the add/drop period, but no later than the 60% point in the academic year, will receive a pro-rated refund of tuition and fees based on the date of withdrawal.