**Study at CETYS is currently suspended due to the Department of State Warning dated 4/22/11**
Founded in 1961, CETYS Universidad (Centro de Enseñanza Técnica y Superior) is now widely recognized as one of the top private universities in Mexico. The CETYS system has three campuses: Mexicali, Tijuana, and Ensenada. Exchange students may study at any of the three campuses.
Courses in business administration and accounting are available at all three CETYS campuses. In addition, the Tijuana campus offers a psychology program for exchange students.
Studying in Baja California affords students the opportunity to become familiar with a region of Mexico that is critically important to San Diego and the whole of California.
Cetys has multiple locations to choose from, all within easy reach of the U.S. border. Students are encouraged to engage in homestays whenever possible, that way the authentic feel of Mexican culture will overpower the flood of tourism present.
- Students may do classroom study, internships, or a combination of both.
- Classroom instruction in Spanish.
- Homestay option available.
Fall Semester: Early August to mid-December
Spring Semester: Early January to early June
Please see the Academic Calendar for specific dates (this is a sample from the Ensenada campus)
- Exchange students can enroll in several degree fields including Business, Accounting, Education, Graphic Design, Law, Psychology and Engineering. All course work and instruction will be in Spanish, so confidence in written and spoken Spanish will be essential to success.
- All work transfers back to San Marcos and can be used to fulfill all graduation requirements.
Language of Instruction
- Class Level: Upper-division status (completion of 60 units)
- GPA of 2.75 or above and good academic standing to departure
- Advanced intermediate fluency in Spanish
- Special Note to Business Majors: In order to receive credit for upper-division courses abroad, you must have already completed your Pre-Core course work at CSUSM.
15 semester units. Typically this equates to 3-5 classes/semester.
While there are no dormitories or specific Housing Office associated with any of the CETYS campuses, the International Office will help you locate accommodation.
Students may either choose from a homestay option that includes a private room, meals, internet and easy access to campus OR a private apartment.
- Students pay their normal State University Fee to CSU San Marcos, currently $3,298/semester. No tuition or fees due at CETYS.
- Homestay available, including room and board for approximately $350/month.
- Apartmental rental will be around $500/month. Food and utility expenses will come in addition to this.
- Health Insurance: $40 per month.
- Cost of meals and personal expenses will vary, but average $500 per month.
- Sample 2011-12 Budget
For Fall Semester Study: April 1
For Spring Semester Study: October 1
How to Apply
- Visit the CETYS website at www.cetys.mx/en to learn about the University. Visit a good Mexican tourism site to see the differences in regional campuses and the surrounding areas.
- Consult with the CSU San Marcos Study Abroad Advisor in Craven Hall 3200 to determine if you are eligible for this program.
- Consult with a faculty advisor in your major/minor department to determine if the CETYS courses will count toward your major. If so, complete a Study Abroad Credit Approval Form. Please note: For GE classes, simply list them on the credit approval form and signatures will be attained for you.
- Read the CETYS Information Guide. Obtain and complete an Exchange Student Application form and submit it to the CSUSM Study Abroad Advisor in Craven Hall 3200.
- Order an official transcript from CSUSM and any other college from which you have taken a semester or more in classes (even if you have already transferred credit to CSUSM). Please pick your transcripts up in person and deliver them to Craven 3200. Keep in mind that transcripts are now taking 7-10 business days to process. Plan accordingly.
- Submit a photocopy of your passport along with your medical disclosure form, personal conduct agreement, air travel release form, and proof of travel medical insurance to the Study Abroad Advisor.
- Attend the pre-depature orientation and consult with the Study Abroad Advisor as necessary regarding the Student Visa process after CETYS acceptance.