Summer in the UK: The British Invasion in U.S. Pop Culture
Join faculty leaders Drs. Heidi Breuer and Rebecca Lush on a tour of popular literary,
cinematic, musical and theatrical traditions in the British Isles. From iconic works
drawing from more than 500 years in popular British culture to present day fantasy
series such as Game of Thrones or Dr. Who, make the cities of London, Cardiff (Wales), and Dublin your classroom.
During your time abroad you will:
- Discover the locations that inspire and inform British texts
- Discern how the U.S. audience perceives the U.K., the U.S., and the relationship between
the two nations
- Consider why the cultural and historical British past is uniquely appealing to the
- Evaluate whether the U.S. audience perpetuates colonial and imperial understandings
of the world through the consumption of British texts
- Enjoy the unique sights and sounds of three distinctive areas of the U.K./Ireland
Planned excursions include the following:
- Tower of London Tour
Sherlock Walking Tour
- See a London theatre performance
- Visit the Harry Potter Warner Brothers London Studio
- James Bond Walking Tour
- Magical Mystery Walking Tour
Dr. Who Experience
- King Arthur Events in Cardiff
- Visit to Trinity College, Dublin and The Book of Kells
- Literary Pub Crawl
Game of Thrones Film Sites Tour
May 21-June 2, 2016
LTWR 302-3: The British Invasion in U.S. Pop Culture
- Upper-division standing prior to departure
- GPA: 2.00 and above; good academic standing to departure
LTWR 302-3 = 3 units
Course may count for upper-division Humanities credit (CC)
Participants will stay in shared, twin rooms with private bathrooms at various 2 and
3 start hotels In London, Cardiff, and Dublin. Wifi access should be available, though
connections might be strongest in lobby areas.
Daily breakfast is served as well as a welcome/farewell dinner. All other meals will
be the responsibility of the student.
$3,300 + Extended Learning Fees (estimated at $252)
All fees include tuition, lodging, daily breakfast, all ground transportation, medical
insurance, and entry to all excursions. Optional excursions, personal spending, and
airfare NOT included in program price.
Estimated Food: $455
Estimated Airfare (San Diego-London, Dublin-San Diego): $1,500
Some useful airfare search engines:
Please await notification from Global Education before purchasing your airfare. Ideally,
we enjoy holding a pre-departure meeting once the application deadline closes, then
participants may plan their travels together. Always read the fine print concerning
change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, before booking. Whenever possible, book
directly with an airline.
- Attend an information session led by faculty leaders, Rebecca Lush & Heidi Breuer.
- Print out the application materials below. All application materials must be received
by Monday, February 15, 2016 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office
of Global Education, Craven 3200. Online payment preferred through CashNet: https://commerce.cashnet.com/CSUSM_STDYABRD Please be advised that all payments aside from those on debit cards will accrue a
2.75% convenience fee. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will
also be accepted.
- Final payment is due Monday, April 4, 2016 to the Office of Global Education. Final
payments preferred via CashNet. See #2 above for specifics. Please note that the Extended Learning fees will be
payable through your myCSUSM once you are registered for the course.
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Drs. Lush & Breuer to discuss
arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
Summer in the UK/I 2016 Application:
Attend an Info Session:
- Thursday, January 28, 1:15-2:15pm, MARK 221B
- Wednesday, February 3, 12:00-12:50 p.m., MARK 221B
- Monday, February 8, 4:00-4:50 p.m., MARK 132