This summer, in partnership with the University of Malta, travel to beautiful Valletta,
Malta with Dr. Bigham. Malta, an archipelago in the central Mediterranean Sea between
Sicily and the North African coast, is a nation known for historic sites related to
a succession of rulers including the Phoenicians, Romans, Moors, Normans, Sicilians,
Spanish, Knights of St. John, French and British.
During this 5 week course, CSUSM students will travel to beautiful Malta for 20 days then participate in 2 weeks of class online. CSUSM students will work with the staff and volunteers at one of the community-based YMCA programs focused on youth health and development, attend lectures by University of Malta faculty, participate in daily course meetings, and take part in cultural exploration. Dr. Eliza Bigham, in CSUSM's Department of Human Development, will be your program leader. Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge while learning!
· 90+ hours of service with the YMCA in Valletta, Malta
· Guest lectures on the influx of refugees from Africa and other countries and other social topics
· Weekend guided tours, including the National Museum of Archaeology, and many other ruins and historical sites
· Day Excursion to Gozo (home of the Ggantija prehistoric temples)
· Overnight excursion to Sicily, Italy
3 weeks (Leave US May 31, Arrive US June 21; June 1 – 20 in Malta) abroad plus 2 weeks
online (June 22 – July 5)
Academic Focus and Units:
3 units HD 495 or 4 units of HD497 through CSUSM's Extended Learning
Language of Instruction:
English. No knowledge of Maltese language or culture assumed.
Students and faculty will be housed at a hostel in multi-student dorms.
$2,100 + Extended Learning Fees (paid directly to Extended Learning for HD495 or HD497 through your myCSUSM, estimated at $662 for HD 495 and $861 for HD 497)Above fees include tuition, room and partial board, medical insurance, ground transportation to/from airport, to/from field experience sites and on all field excursions. Airfare, meals not listed, and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost and are estimated at $1,500 to $2,000 (largely dependent on airfare booked).
1. Contact Dr. Elizabeth Bigham at email@example.com to arrange a meeting to discuss the program.
2. Print out the application materials below. All application materials must be received by noon Friday, March 10 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office of Global Education, Craven 3200. Online payment preferred through CashNet: https://commerce.cashnet.com/CSUSM_STDYABRD Please be advised that all payments aside from those via e-check will accrue a 2.75% convenience fee. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted.
3. Final payment is due by noon Friday, April 7 to the Office of Global Education. Payment of tuition related expenses will be billed by Extended Learning to your student accounts following enrollment and will follow payment guidelines set out for Summer Session. Remaining program fees due to Global Eucation follow the procedure outlined above.
4. Two mandatory pre-departure orientations will be held in April and May to plan for the service activities, review the course materials, and confirm all travel details.
Summer in Malta Application: