- Global Education
- Undergraduate International Admissions
- Graduate International Admissions
- Prospective Applicants
- International Students
- American Language and Culture Institute
- Study Abroad
- January Term Programs
- Summer Programs
- Exchange Programs
- CSU International Programs
- Other Programs
- Credit Approval
- Financial Aid
- Fulbright Programs
- Traveling Tukwut Study Abroad Fair 2015
- Study Abroad Fair Exhibitor Registration
- Faculty and Departments
- Global Partners
- Agents and Prospective Exchange Partners
- International Visitor Request
- Travel Resources
- Calendar of Events
Summer in Spain
Universidad de Valladolid
The University of Valladolid is historically one of the oldest universities in Spain, serving students for over 700 years. Currently boasting a student population of over 30,000 across its regional campuses throughout Castilla y Leon, the Universtiy of Valladolid remains a model of excellence in teaching and research, as well as a leader in the promotion of the language, heritage and environment of the Region of Castilla y León!
The Summer in Spain program is embarking upon its 18th year of operation under the guidance of Faculty Director, Dr. Francisco Martin. Students in this program will experience a total immersion experience as they integrate into Spanish life, language, and culture over the course of their four week stay. Generally class will run Monday through Friday, with intensive language instruction by Valladolid faculty in the morning/early afternoon, followed by culture class in the afternoon on select days. In addition, students are encouraged to attend excursions in the city and region to further bring their learning to life.
While program excursions change every year, last year's included:
- La Ruta de los Castillos: Visits to famous castles in the region
- May 24- June 22 (Program begins Thursday, May 26 and runs through Wednesday, June 22)
- Intensive Spanish Language & Cultural Immersion
|Valladolid Course||CSUSM Course Equivalent||Units||Prerequisites|
|Nivel Inicial||Spanish 150||4||One semester Spanish study|
|Nivel Intermedio I||Spanish 201||3||Spanish 102|
|Nivel Intermedio II||Spanish 202||3||Spanish 201|
|Nivel Avanzado I||Spanish 301||3||Spanish 202|
|Nivel Avanzado II||Spanish 350A||3||Spanish 301*|
|Nivel Superior||Spanish 450B||3||Upper Division Spanish Literature|
|Actividades Extracurriculares: Intensive Spanish Practice in a Study Abroad Setting Financial Aid Students Only||Spanish 199||1||N/A|
|*Additional Courses May Be Available Upon Request*|
*Please consult with Dr. Martin in the Department of Modern Language Studies, Mark 255, firstname.lastname@example.org
Language of Instruction:
Class level: Open to all class levels
GPA: 2.75 and above; satisfactory academic performance
Completion of at least one semester of Spanish
Nivel Inicial: 4 core units* language, 1 unit general graduation requirements
All Other Levels: 3 core units* language, 2 units general graduation requirements
*All units earned will count as transfer credit. All course work can be used to fulfill the LOTER requirement.
Financial Aid Students: 6 units are required for summer financial aid eligibility. As such, you will be required to enroll in Spanish 199: Intensive Spanish Practice in a Study Abroad Setting, for one unit. In this course you will be required to write three short compositions based upon your weekend excursions. All compositions will be graded according to your Spanish level.
Please note: Financial Aid eligibility is based upon how much aid you have left over from the current school year. If you have used all your offered financial aid for fall and spring semesters, you will need to seek outside loans to cover your program expenses.
All program participants will be assigned to individual rooms with a homestay family for the duration of their stay in Valladolid. The homestay environment will offer wonderful insights into Spanish culture and many practical benefits of Spanish language practice. Some homestays can house only one student, while others may take in up to three, with each student housed in individual rooms. There is no guarantee that friends will be placed in the same homestay, but careful attention will be given to placing students in the environment best suited to their personalities and preferences. All homestays will be within a reasonable walk or bus route to the university.
All fees include tuition, full room and board, medical insurance, and limited excursions. Airfare and personal expenditures are NOT included in the program cost.
Some useful airfare search engines:
Please be sure to read the fine print concerning change fees, taxes, luggage restrictions, etc. before booking. Whenever possible, book directly with an airline.
Get a Feel for Valladolid...courtesy of YouTube
- Attend an information session led by faculty leader, Francisco Martin. Once proof of attendance is verified, you are eligible to apply. Space is first come, first served, and the program filled quickly to capacity in 2015.
- Print out the application below. All application materials must be received by Thursday, February 18, 2016 along with your non-refundable $300 deposit to the Office of Global Education. Online payment preferred through CashNet: https://commerce.cashnet.com/CSUSM_STDYABRD Please be advised that all payments aside from those on debit cards will accrue a 2.75% convenience fee. Cash, checks, and money orders made payable to CSUSM will also be accepted.
- Final payment of $2,695 is due on Thursday, March 17, 2016 to the Office of Global Education.
Final payments preferred via CashNet. See #2 above for specifics..
- A mandatory placement test will be administerd prior to departure. Students have the right to discuss exam results and placement with Professor Martin.
- A mandatory pre-departure orientation will be held with Professor Martin to discuss arrival instructions and the upcoming course. Proof of attendance will be recorded.
Summer in Spain 2016 Application:
- Program Overview
- Application Checklist
- Summer in Spain 2016 Application
- Medical Disclosure Form
- Mapfre Insurance Information
- Air Travel and Hold Harmless Statement
- Foreign Study University Contract A and Attachment A
- Homestay Application Form
- Personal Conduct Agreement Form
- Placement Test Form
- Flight Information Form
- Photocopy of Passport Picture Page (signed)
Attend an Info Session from 12:00-12:30 p.m. in Mark 209 with Professor Martin on these selected Thursdays:
- Thursday, March 3rd
- Thursday, March 10th