- Office Hours
- History Department Directory
- Faculty Information Page
- Department News
- Events Calendar
- Alumnus of the Year
- History Degree Requirements
- Master of Arts
- Admission Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Graduate Resources
- Digital History Projects
- Contact Information
Deadline for Spring 2016 admissions: August 31 for CSU Mentor application and September 30 for department application and all other materials (letters of recommendation, statement of research interest, etc.)
Deadline for Fall 2016 admissions: February 1 for early consideration but the department will continue to accept applications until March 18.
All applicants to the Masters of Arts in History must meet the University's requirements for graduate study. Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in history or an allied field with at least four upper-division courses in history. Furthermore, before beginning graduate work, applicants must have completed a historical methods and writing course and the CSUSM requirements for computer competency or the equivalent at another institution. Additional requirements for admission to the program are as follows.
- Admission to the University for Graduate studies.
- Overall minimum GPA of 3.0 with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the undergraduate major.
- The General Test for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). While the minimum acceptable score may vary each year, it is unlikely that an applicant will be admitted with a score less than 500 on the verbal section of the exam. The score must be from a test taken within no less than five years previous to the date of application.
- TOEFL if appropriate with a minimum score of 500.
- Two sets of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended with official verification of graduation.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation that assess academic accomplishments and potential for graduate study.
- A 750 word statement of research intent describing historical fields of study including mention of interest and/or experience in media and technology, relevant educational background, and post-graduate career/educational objectives.
- One formal academic writing sample, as recent as possible. Preferably this should be a paper from previous college or university coursework and should not be written simply for the purpose of admission.
- Completed History MA Application.