The HOPE & Wellness Center supports the mission of the Student Health and Counseling Services and Cal State San Marcos by educating and empowering students to make healthy lifestyle choices. We believe that students are effective educators with their peers; as a result, we have the Healthy Cougars: Peer Advocacy & Wellness Support (PAWS) program.
It is comprised of student volunteers who are trained to educate fellow students about a variety of healthy behaviors and decisions which affect their lives. Healthy Cougars are a group of students trained and committed to providing information and assistance to students and the Cal State San Marcos community regarding pertinent health and wellness related issues.
Healthy Cougars are trained to help encourage and educate their peers to make healthy lifestyle choices through programs, presentations, workshops, group discussions and campus awareness events. Healthy Cougars serve as individual sources of information, provide appropriate referrals, and serve as Student Health Center advocates.
Agency Name: Cal State San Marcos Student Health Services
Agency Supervisor: Cathy Nguyen, Health Educator
Phone: (760) 750-4917
Email Address: email@example.com
Address: 333 South Twin Oaks Valley Rd, San Marcos, CA 92096-0001
NATURE OF INTERNSHIP
Title: Peer Education Leader
Start Date: TBD
End Date: TBD
Hours: 6-8 hrs per week
Responsibilities and Activities may include:
- Co-facilitating trainings with the Health Educator for the Peer Education and Support Program
- Coordinating Healthy Cougars meetings
- Supervising Healthy Cougars members in absence of the Health Educator
- Facilitating classroom presentations as needed
- Collects demographic information and evaluation forms from all training and program participants and compiles these statistics appropriately, adjusting presentations based upon participant feedback.
- Assist with marketing and promoting health-related programs and SHCS
- Assist with planning and implementing the Health Fair, Great American Smokeout, World AIDS Day, Breast CancerAwareness, and other health activities.
- Research for grant/funding opportunities
- Develop and facilitate two health workshops on campus
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Healthy Cougars (PAWS) program, SHCS Staff
- Continually update personal health knowledge
- Other responsibilities/duties as assigned
- Public Speaking ability and non-verbal communication skills
- Supervisory experience
- Relevant experience related to health
- Reliability, responsibility and commitment
- Preferred majors: Communications, Human Development, Sociology, Psychology or other health-related majors.
Connect with us:
HOPE & Wellness Center
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Rd
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001
Phone: (760) 750-4917