Applying for the Tuition and Fee Waiver Benefit
1. Check your Bargaining Unit contract regarding Professional Development and Tuition and Fee Waiver Benefits. Attend a Tuition and Fee Waiver Workshop, contact Chris Quiroga, Tuition and Fee Waiver Coordinator, HREO (x 4414), or visit the website (http://www.csusm.edu/hr/) to find forms and process information.
2. Choose your Option – Work Related or Career Development Plan (CDP)
3. Fill out proper forms (note links in blue) Fill out all necessary forms and get all signatures needed to process paper work. Career Development applicants are encouraged to contact HREO to review career plan and verify eligibility. The Tuition and Fee Waiver Admissions Fee Reduction Eligibility Form must accompany the application in order to waive the $55.00 fee.
Work-related: (non-matriculated employees)
Career Development Plan (CDP):(matriculated employees)
- Tuition and Fee Waiver Admissions Fee Reduction Eligibility form (accompanies application)
Career Development Plan one time only, when applying to the CSU
Tuition and Fee Waiver Forms require department MPP signature
TUITION AND FEE WAIVER APPLICATION - Send completed forms to Chris Quiroga, Tuition and Fee Waiver Coordinator, HREO
If attending CSUSM, forms are due to HREO prior to registration (CDP) or three weeks prior to first day of semester (work-related).
REGISTRATION - Continuing Career Development Plan (CDP) students (including dependents) Register via MyCSUSM or as determined by the campus of enrollment. Work related students will receive a registration date from the Office of Registration & Records, and register via the MyCSUSM.
FEE PAYMENT - Pay tuition and fees to CASHIERS OFFICE - See Course Catalogue for payment schedule. Visit Student Financial Services for more details. Tuition and Fee Waiver students are subject to dis-enrollment and late fees.
Notify HREO of any changes/adjustments to your schedule, Chris Quiroga, firstname.lastname@example.org
Repeat Steps 2 – 8 in advance of each semester
Eligible employees may transfer their tuition and fee waiver benefit to a spouse, domestic partner or dependent child following the criteria listed below:
1. A dependent child is defined as your child or stepchild under age 23*, living with you in a parent-child relationship who is economically dependent on you, and has never been married, or your child or stepchild age 23* or above who is incapable of self-support due to a disability which existed prior to age 23*.
2. The spouse, domestic partner or dependent child must be matriculated toward a degree or the attainment of a teaching credential in the CSU and the course(s) enrolled on a tuition and fee waiver basis must be for credit toward the completion of that degree or credential.
3. Campus administration determines that space is available in the course offering before accommodating a spouse, domestic partner or dependent child.
4. The dependent tuition and fee waiver applies only to certain fees incurred by California residents. Any spouse, domestic partner or dependent child who does not meet residency requirements, will be responsible for paying non-resident tuition based on the total number of units in which they are enrolled.
5. The Student Body Association Fee cannot be waived or reduced for a spouse, domestic partner or dependent child.
6. Tuition and Fee waiver eligibility can be transferred to only one person at a time – regardless of the number of units taken.
7. The spouse, domestic partner, or dependent child must maintain normal academic standards each semester to continue participation in the tuition and fee waiver program.
8. Eligible spouses, domestic partners or dependent children may use the tuition and fee waiver benefit at any CSU campus.
*Age 25 for employees covered under the CSUEU CBA (2,5,7,9)
Applying for a Dependent Tuition and Fee Waiver
The Tuition and Fee Waiver Application process always begins at the campus of employment. The benefited, eligible employee is responsible for completing and submitting all forms required for participation in the Tuition and Fee Waiver and Reduction Program.
The following tuition and fee waiver forms are to be completed and sent to HREO at California State University San Marcos prior to the first semester of attendance:
Fee Waiver Admissions Fee Reduction Eligibility Form (waives the $55.00 Application Fee – one time only and only at the campus where enrolled)
Application - Dependent Tuition/Fee Waiver and Reduction Program (to be submitted prior to each semester/quarter)
When the spouse, domestic partner or dependent child attends another CSU campus, coordination between campuses is required. The campus of employment must provide the following information to the campus of enrollment:
verification of the eligible employee’s qualifying employment
verification that the employee will not be using the tuition and fee waiver benefit during the semester/quarter
verification that no other family member will be using the tuition and fee waiver benefit during the semester/quarter