- New Folder
- Human Resources
- HR Teams
- FAS Division
- 2014 Annual Benefits Open Enrollment
- Employee Assistance Program
- my CalPERS
- Tuition and Fee Waiver Program
- Flexible Spending Programs
- Health Benefit Programs
- Leave Programs
- Benefits for Lecturers & Coaches
- Employer Paid Life & Disability Programs
- Other Benefit Programs
- Retirement Programs
- Support for Nursing Mothers
- Benefit Contacts
- Conflict of Interest
- Employee Relations
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Employment Opportunities at CSUSM
- Employment & Recruitment Process
- Human Resources Information System
- HR Forms
- Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Performance Management
- Policies and Procedures
- Training & Professional Development
- Whistleblower Protection
- HR Staff Directory
- HR Teams
- California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS)
- Part-Time, Seasonal, Temporary, Retirement Plan (PST)
- Tax Sheltered Annuity (403b)
- Savings Plus Program (457 Deferred Compensation Plan and the 401(k) Thrift Plan)
Staff who are appointed to a full time position or to a temporary position lasting at least six months and one day are automatically enrolled in CalPERS.
Tenure-track faculty are also automatically enrolled in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). Lecturers who teach three consecutive semesters with a 0.5 or greater appointment will be enrolled in the PERS system automatically during the third semester.
Visit Academic Resources for more information.
The CSU plan with PERS is a defined benefit plan that calculates the retirement benefit using age at retirement, years of service credit, and salary. Eligibility for retirement from PERS is five (5) years of service and age 50. Retirees may be eligible for medical and dental benefits for life for themselves and their spouse.
CalPERS allows employees to purchase additional service credit, such as military, maternity/paternity, or sabbatical, to increase the amount of their compensation at retirement. From the CalPERS Home page, click on "For Members for access to the Service Credit Cost Estimator.
All non-CalPERS eligible employees are placed into the: Part-Time, Seasonal, Temporary Employees Retirement (PST) Program - Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan, which is administered by the State of California Department of Personnel Services Administration.
There is no employer contribution to this plan. Employees enrolled in this plan pay into Medicare.