Online Conferencing Tools
Many of you will have already used Skype for internet "phone calls." Even more of your students will have experienced Skype or other real-time tools like Google+. We have added GoToMeeting, a popular business conferencing tool.
The new kid on the block:
Teaching at a distance using real-time video and audio is very different than teaching face-to-face. There are a number of new factors to think about. Here are some links to documents that can help guide you.
- Videoconferencing Teaching Techniques - George Mason University
- Best Practices and Etiquette - Video Development Initiative
- Teaching via Interactive Videoconferencing - Virginia Tech
- How to brochure - The Higher Education Academy
- Videoconferencing Tips - Texas State Library
Journal Articles on Videoconferencing
- Videoconferencing and Telehealth Technologies Can Provide a Reliable Approach to Remote Assessment and Teaching Without Compromising Quality - The Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing:January/February 2007 - Volume 22 - Issue 1 - pp 51-57
- Seeing is believing: the role of videoconferencing in distance learning - British Journal of Educational Technology, Volume 36 Issue 3, Pages 397 - 405, Published Online: 7 Apr 2005
- Using video-conferencing in blended learning environment, Olds College Continuing Education Department, 2011.
- The Videoconference Zone - a funny look at typical VC mistakes - U. of Washington
Books on Videoconferencing and Related Subjects
- Effective Communications by Steve Shipside, Publisher: Dorling Kindersley Limited, Pub Date: February 22, 2007, ISBN: 9781405317535, Pages: 120