Campus Studio Facilities Use Guidelines
This guide is for non-CSUSM organizations. Academic Technology Services, June, 2010
The studio production facilities include:
- Video studio A - full three-camera standard definition production studio with control room (Kel 2316, 2314, 2315)
- Video studio B - full three-camera standard definition production studio with control room (Kel 2311, 2312, 2313)
These are supported by various other spaces, including:
- Production Storage (2304)
- Master Control (2307)
The CSUSM Studio facilities are supported by Instructional and Information Technology Services (IITS).
The studios are available during normal working hours from 8AM-6PM, Monday-Friday. Use outside of normal working hours may require overtime for studio staff.
Doing Production in the CSUSM Studios
If you wish to book CSUSM studio facilities, equipment, and/or support labor, must first contact the Studio Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 760-750-8670) to provide details, including:
- Requested date.
- Nature of organization desiring to use facilities.
- Number of client personnel involved in production.
- Nature of production.
- Facilities/equipment requested.
Studio staff will consult the Production calendar to determine if production can be supported without affecting instruction. If so, we can tentatively reserve space/personnel for your production. After consultation IITS will inform the University Events and Scheduling Office (UESO) so that we may work together to determine costs and other requirements. Upon client acceptance of fees and requirements, production is scheduled on the studio Production calendar. Please note that use of the studios is subject to the campus “Scheduling University Facilities for Non Instructional Events” policy.
Important items to be completed prior to facility use include:
- Purchase of parking permits (UESO)
- Completion of Risk Assessment form (IITS)
- Script/storyboard review (Communications)
- Insurance requirements check (UESO)
- Technical preparations (IITS)
- Collection of non-refundable deposit (UESO)
On the production date(s)
- Client arrives at Kellogg Library loading dock with parking permits.
- IITS staff meets them and escorts them to studio area.
- Production activities occur.
- Client is provided with resulting video files (on client-provided media).
- Client is escorted to the loading dock area for load out.
- A designated Studio Technician must be present during any and all use of the facility. This Technician will have authority to ensure that activities comply with the project’s approved use. The Studio Technician must approve all equipment and properties brought into the Studio.
- Liquids, open flames, flammable materials, or materials that create health or other hazards are not allowed in the studio facility.
- No smoking, food, or drink is allowed in the studios themselves. A cart can be provided in the hallway outside the studios for catering.
- The studios are potentially dangerous areas where personnel must strictly comply with safety practices to avoid injury.
- Only IITS personnel may make software and/or configuration changes to the computers in the facility.
- Repair of damage to the facilities, tools or equipment during use (including setup, rehearsal, production, or post-production) will be billed to the project.
- Costs incurred to remove any material after the approved de-installation date will be charged to the project.
- The university is not liable for any loss, damage, or expense incurred by any user due to the use of CSUSM Studio services, equipment, software, or information.
- IITS will make every effort to protect intellectual property rights. It will be the responsibility of those requesting services to secure appropriate rights to programs and content.
- The University reserves the right to restrict or refuse service from or access to IITS studio facilities to any group or individual. Use of campus technology, including the studios, is subject to CSU and campus acceptable use policies. Use of university facilities for commercial purposes is restricted.