Connecting to the CSUSM network in Mac OSX
Verifying That Your Airport is Turned On
- 1. Look for the Airport Status icon in your computer’s menu bar. If your AirPort card is turned off the icon looks like a white fan shape:
- Click the icon and select Turn Airport On.
- The icon changes to a series of arched bars:
Connecting to the CSUSM Network
- Click the Airport Status icon in the upper-right corner of your screen and select the Wi-Fi network CSUSM.
- Enter your campus username and password and click Join.
- You will be prompted to accept the certificate from the CSUSM authentication server. Click Show Certificate to view the details.
- Confirm that the server listed is ias.csusm.edu, that it is issued by InCommon Server CA, and that the certificate is valid. If so, click Continue.
Note: In general, you need to be very careful about accepting certificates with errors. When you get these warnings, we encourage you to ask questions and take the time to verify that the certificate is valid. People who steal data are successful in part because users tend to just click on the “Accept” button without reading the details!
- You will be prompted to enter your Mac's local account in order to make changes to your computer. Enter the username and password for your Mac (not your campus username/password) and click Update Settings.
- You should now be connected to the CSUSM wireless network.