- College of Education, Health and Human Services
- Kinesiology Home
- Impaction and Application Process
- Kinesiology application
- Academic Advising and Permission Numbers
- Degree options and courses
- Research and Labs
- Program Learning Outcomes
- Employment Opportunities
- Faculty/Staff Directory
- Temecula Program
- Graduation Celebration!
- Graduate/Alumni survey
Impaction Status and the Application Process
Kinesiology is an IMPACTED program
This means that everyone desiring a Kinesiology degree will be admitted to the university first as a "Pre-Kinesiology" major.
The following supplemental admission criteria will be used to determine acceptance into the Kinesiology degree program:
1. Cumulative GPA from all coursework of AT LEAST 2.50
2. Grade of "C" or better in the following four Pre-Kinesiology Core courses (or equivalent):
- KINE 202: Introduction to Kinesiology
- BIOL 104: Principles of Biology: Human Emphasis (with lab)
(Note: an Intro or General Biology w/lab (4 semester units) is generally acceptable)
- BIOL 177 Anatomy & Physiology I for KINE majors (with lab)
- BIOL 178 Anatomy & Physiology II for KINE majors (with lab)
(Note: 1 semester of Anatomy w/lab and 1 semester of Physiology w/lab is acceptable for A&P I/II)
3. Applicants meeting the criteria above MUST apply to the Kinesiology program. See timeline information below.
4. Questions about this process? Please contact Dr. Todd Astorino (email@example.com), faculty admissions coordinator.
- All students applying to the university desiring a Kinesiology degree are automatically designated as "Pre-Kinesiology" majors.
- Once admitted to the university, if you have not met the supplemental admission criteria above, you can enroll in the four classes in the Pre-Kinesiology Core. These classes are restricted to Pre-Kinesiology and current Kinesiology majors only and seating is VERY limited. Transfer students are HIGHLY encouraged to complete these at their community college prior to acceptance here in order to minimize time to graduation.
- Once admitted to the university, if you have met the supplemental admission criteria above, you should apply to the Kinesiology program immediately. You must have a grade posted for each of the Pre-Kinesiology Core courses to be considered for admission.
Current CSUSM non-Kinesiology Students
- If you have not met the supplemental admission criteria above, you can declare a "Pre-Kinesiology" major at Cougar Central which will allow enrollment in the four courses listed above (these classes are restricted to Pre-Kinesiology and current Kinesiology majors).
- If you have met the supplemental admission criteria above, you may apply to the Kinesiology program for Fall or Spring semesters. You must have a grade posted for each of the Pre-Kinesiology Core courses to be considered for admission.
Current CSUSM Kinesiology Students
- If you are currently accepted into the Kinesiology degree program and wish to change your OPTION, please email this request to Dr. Todd Astorino (firstname.lastname@example.org).