Jumpstudy - Do you qualify?
Do you qualify?
To qualify, you must:
- be a woman between the ages of 18-42 years
- have a history of regular menstrual cycles (10-12 per year)
- not be pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- be a non-smoker
- have not participated in REGULAR high-impact activity (e.g. gymnastics, plyometrics, volleyball, basketball) for 12 months prior to the study. Running is fine.
- not be taking medications that affect bone, like diuretics, blood pressure drugs, or those for cancer or osteoporosis treatment
- not be underweight or obese (BMI should be between 18-30 kg/m^2) check your BMI at: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
- be willing to continue on your current birth control medication throughout the study if you currently take hormone birth control pills or Depo Provera.
As a subject, you will:
- be assigned to jump down from an 8-inch step, 10 times, on either 5 or 7 days per week for the entire school year (9 months). Step is provided.
- be asked to keep track of your jumps and other physical activity on calendars provided to you.
- complete a 60-minute testing session at the beginning and the end of the 9-month study (includes a bone density test; very low dose x-ray) in the Human Performance Lab at CSUSM located in ACD 115.
- complete an online food frequency questionnaire at the beginning and at the end of the study
- come to the lab after 3 and 6 months to jump onto a force platform 10 times
For your participation, you will receive:
- 3 units of upper division credit (KINE 499C Independent Study) during your 2nd semester of participation
- copies/results of your bone scans following your participation in the study
If you meet ALL of the above criteria and you would like to volunteer, enroll now for the next cohort that starts at the end of August!