The CSUSM LA program can fund Learning Assistants for your math or science course!
The LA program is a mechanism for curriculum & course transformation that can improve the quality of math and science education for all undergraduates. Wth the support of Learning Assistants, faculty can implement interactive and collaborative activities in their classrooms.
Guidelines for Faculty (read before applying)
- use LAs to promote interaction and collaboration among students enrolled in the course,
- meet in weekly planning sessions with the LAs who support their courses,
- attend weekly meetings with other faculty participating in the program,
- attend a summer preparation session for using LAs, and
- evaluate transformations and assess learning in their own courses.
LAs vs TAs vs SIs
- The focus on teacher recruitment and preparation
- A special seminar targeted at helping LAs integrate content, pedagogy, and practice
- Involvement of LAs in required classroom activities (not optional sessions)
- The involvement of science research faculty in mentoring LAs, and recruitment and preparation of teachers
- A collaborative educational research program to evaluate the effects of the LA model