Transfer Orientation Checklist
- By the end of your orientation session, you will register for your courses for the upcoming semester.
- You'll be one of about 200 students at orientation. After introductions to the University, you and about 20-30 other Liberal Studies majors will break away from the big group and join the Liberal Studies advisors in a computer lab. You will spend the rest of the orientation in that room with your academic advisors.
- Your advisors will give a presentation on the major, and the important requirements and policies you need to know to be a successful student at Cal State San Marcos. This will last about an hour.
- We will explain the registration process and hand out personalized advising worksheets that we prepared in advance. This worksheet will list the requirements you have fulfilled, and the ones you still need to fulfill. This lets you know what you need to register for.
- You will then register yourself for your courses through the MyCSUSM registration website.
- Remember: Orientation is a group process. While advisors will be available that day to answer questions, we cannot do extensive one-on-one advising, nor do long-range academic planning. The goal of orientation is to get you registered for courses. Beginning the third week of the semester, you can schedule an appointment with an advisor to do long-range planning.
- Because there is a limited time for you to register for courses on orientation day, it can be a stressful situation. The best way to relieve some of that stress is to be prepared, by completing this orientation checklist.