This exam is for Global Business Majors. Other students would complete the Proficiency Exam. GBM majors who have not yet met the LOTER but who pass this exam will also meet the LOTER.
Special Note: The turnaround time to receive exam results for ALL EXAMS, regardless of language, is 4-6 weeks. You will be notified by e-mail when your results are in.
Reminder: Students looking to retake the Global Business Major exam must have received the result from their previous exam before scheduling another testing session.
- Students seeking to meet the Global Business Major language requirement and who have been advised by their Global Business Major advisor about using this examination.
- Students who are proficient in a language other than English. Most languages are accepted. Some common examples are: Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Arabic, Vietnamese, Farsi, Tagalog, etc. If you are unsure if your language will be accepted, please inquire at email@example.com.
- Students proficiency is assessed at the 202-level, both in speaking and writing (including pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and any accents).
- The Global Business Major Exam is looking for proficiency - not fluency - at the standard CSUSM 202-level. A few examples are: pronunciation, vocabulary, spelling, accent use and placement, major verb tenses, idiomatic expressions, general grammar rules, and common exceptions.
- The exam tests in two components; oral and written. You should therefore know how to pronounce and spell words correctly. A foreigner who speaks no English should be able to understand most of your production. If you were put in the middle of a foreign country, surrounded by people who only speak that language, would you comfortably be able to communicate?
- Keep in mind that the College of Business Administration will only accept the CSUSM Global Business Major examination or the Berlitz language test. (NO OTHER EXAMINATION IS ACCEPTED!)
- You must arrange, confirm, and keep appointments with Language Learning Center in Kellogg Library 1107 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
- A notice of 24 hours is required for cancellation and to reschedule. If you do not cancel within 24 hours, it will be at least two months before a reschedule is possible. This is necessary to be fair to all students waiting for examinations.
- You should arrive 10-15 minutes early and be ready to take the test at the scheduled time. If you are late, you will NOT be allowed to take the test.
- You should allow thirty minutes for the oral component and one hour for the written component, for a total of 1.5 hours.
- If you receive a score of "Pass", your student record will be updated and the LOTER entered as "met".
- If you receive a score of "No Pass", you may retake the exam.** Any retakes of the Proficiency Exam will require you to pay the examination fee again. However, you need to have received the results of your previous test before scheduling another testing session.
- Please be aware that, because we are a testing facility, we do not have accommodations for children.
- If you have a disability and will require reasonable accommodations to take either the GBM Language Exam or the Proficiency Exam, please contact the Language Learning Center at email@example.com or by phone at 760-750-8191 for further information.
Language Proficiency Exam SchedulePlease refer to our LOTER exam webpage for our exam schedule. The GBM exams are schedule for the same dates and times as our LOTER exam.
First, make sure this is indeed how you want to meet the LOTER. Then...
- Note: All students must present a valid Photo ID (e.g. CSUSM Student ID, CA Driver's License, passport, etc.).
- Contact our Proficiency Exam Student Coordinator, Peter Vu! You can either give him a call at (760) 750-8191, or come to Kellogg 1107, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include which language you are looking to take the exam in, in your e-mail. Note: We are not able schedule an exam for dates and times not listed on our exam schedule.
Proficiency Exam Student Coordinator
Language Learning Center
Kellogg Library 1107
- There is an examination fee of $49.50 via check (made payable to: CSUSM, Language Examination) or cash at the Language Learning Center. Payment arrangements will be made during the sign-up process.
- The fee is waived for Veterans on GI Bills other than Chapter 31 and for all Active Duty receiving tuition assistance. If this applies to you, state your military status when signing up for the exam and be prepared to show proof.
- You must inform the LLC at least 24 hours in advance if you will not be able to keep your testing appointment. Only by contacting us will you be allowed to reschedule the test for one of the next testing dates.
- NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN FOR MISSED APPOINTMENTS.
- The turnaround time to receive results for ALL EXAMS, regardless of language, is 4-6 weeks. You will be notified by e-mail when your results are in.
- It is the testing date (not the turnaround time) that will be noted in your student record.