Useful Tips for Transfer Students
1. CSUSM has a third-semester "intermediate" Language Other Than English Requirement. You can take three semesters of one language during your college years, or you can place directly into a second-semester or third-semester class using your previous knowledge from high school or another college. Refer to "Credit by Course."
2. If you recently took or are now taking foreign language at your community college, consider taking your third semester before your arrival at CSUSM. This will save you time and money!
3. College classes do not expire as prerequisites for the next class. (This means you can't take the same class at CSUSM that you already took and passed.)
4. If you DON'T want to take the next Spanish in the sequence, but prefer to back up a bit and/or want some review, take the Spanish Placement Exam.
5. If you have AP, IB, or TOEFL scores, many meet the LOTER. Send CSUSM an official score after you are here, and your record will be updated!
6. A last great option: Test out once you are at CSUSM, if you are already proficient in another language and do not want to take any more classes. This option does NOT give units, costs $49.50, and can be done at any time after your arrival. We can test almost every language in the world; please contact us to inquire about less commonly-tested languages.