TAKE A CLASS...
- CSUSM has a third-semester "intermediate" Language Other Than English Requirement (LOTER) for graduation.
- You can take three semesters of one language in college, or you can place directly into a second-semester or third-semester class using your previous knowledge from high school.
- Consider taking your third semester before your arrival at CSUSM. This will save you time and money!
- Please see our Courses page to decide which class is right for you.
- List of courses that meet the LOTER in the area and online.
...OR TEST OUT...
- If you are already proficient in another language and do not want to take any more classes, you can sit for the Proficiency Exam to meet the LOTER.
- We test almost language in the world; please just contact us with advance notice, if yours is a less commonly-tested language.
- This option does NOT give units, it costs $91, and it can be done at any time after your arrival.
- Many AP, IB, or TOEFL scores meet the LOTER. Just send CSUSM an official score!
...OR TAKE A SPANISH PLACEMENT TEST!
- If you feel you should place directly into Spanish 102 or 201, but you haven't taken Spanish since high school, you can take our Spanish Placement Exam.
- If you feel like you need some practice first, before attempting the Spanish Placement Exam, consider our Free Spanish 101 Review.