- Department of Mathematics
- Bachelor of Science
- Master of Science
- Graduate Program Coordinator
- Student Learning Outcomes
- Admission Requirements & Application Due Dates
- How to Apply
- Teaching Assistant (TA)
- Comprehensive Exam Policy
- Mathematics M.S. Alumni
- Single-Subject Matter Preparation (SSMP) Program
- Counselors and faculty advisors
- Careers in mathematics
- List of faculty
- Faculty resources
Admission Requirements & Due Dates
Admission to the program requires an undergraduate major in mathematics or related field (such as computer science), which includes the equivalent of Math 430 Foundations of Analysis with grade of B or better and Math 470 Introduction to Abstract Algebra with grade of B or better. Admission also requires a 2.5 grade point average in the last sixty (60) units attempted at the undergraduate level and a 3.0 grade point average in the last thirty (30) units of the undergraduate major.
Students who have deficiencies in admission requirements that can be removed by specified additional preparation may be admitted with conditionally classified graduate status, but the units earned to remove these deficiencies may not be used towards the CSUSM Master of Science. All applicants, regardless of citizenship, who do not possess a Bachelor's Degree from a post-secondary institution or in a country where English is the principal language, must take the combined Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the Test of Written English (TWE) examination and receive a minimum score of 550 on the TOEFL and a minimum 4.5 on the TWE.
Application Due Dates
To receive full consideration for admission, complete applications, including verification of English proficiency (see above), should be submitted to the department.
- April 15th is the deadline for full consideration for fall admission. However, applications will be accepted until June 30th, as space allows.
- August 1-31, 2013 is the application window for domestic students for Spring 2013 admission.
International applicants should visit Graduate International Admissions for deadlines and requirements. Pleawse note that international applicants must also submit a departmental application.