Biography: David Tiffany, ML, JDBACKGROUND
Experienced Civil Litigation Attorney with extensive experience litigating disputes that arise out of the following areas of law: admiralty law; employment law [discrimination]; construction defect litigation; personal injury and wrongful death litigation; business litigation and transactional legal problems in both State and Federal Court.
Professional Mediator and Arbitrator
Former Coast Guard legal officer with experience in the fields of Port Security Contingency Planning; Law Enforcement; Search and Rescue; Port Operations; Port Security; Vessel Inspections; Accident and Criminal Investigations; Military Justice; Admiralty tort claims; Government Contracting.
- Masters of Law in Admiralty (LL.M): Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- Juris Doctor (JD): California Western School of Law, San Diego, CA
- Bachelor of Arts: United States International University, Magna Cum Laude, History and Political Science; San Diego, CA
- California State University San Marcos; adjunct professor (Business Law 202; Employment Law; Entrepreneur Law)
- University of San Diego School of Law, 1983-1985: Law of the Sea (International Law)
- Maritime Personal Injury and Death; adjunct professor
Tiffany, David W. & Kelley L, Stewart v. Dutra Construction Company; the Supreme Court Simplifies the Definition of “Vessel”; A Long Overdue Development for Jones Act Seaman 72 Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics & Policy, 350 (2005).
Tiffany, What Are the Practical Implications of the Avoidable Consequences Defense On Sexual Harassment Cases? Lawyers Club News, April 2004.
Tiffany: The New Construction Defect Statute a Ten Year Warranty Or You Better Build a Perfect Home. The Update, San Diego Defense Lawyers Association, (2003), Vol. 7, Issue 5.
Tiffany: Exoneration From...Liability Petition: What Effect Does Collateral Estoppel Have On A Direct Action Suit? Insurance Counsel Journal 85 (1981).
Tiffany: Limitation of Liability and Pleasure Boats: 65 Years of Judicial Misinterpretation of the Intent of Congress 12 Transportation Law Journal 249 (1981).
Tiffany: Abandoning a Wreck Under 33 U.S.C. Section 409; Are You A Riverboat Gambler? Insurance Counsel Journal 344 (1980).
Tiffany: Norfolk & Western Ry. Co. v. Liepelt Torpedoes Jones Act Damages 24 Trial Lawyer's Guide 145 (1980).
Note: Does the 1870 Civil Rights Act Protect the Alien From Citizenship Discrimination By a Private Employer? A Critical Look at Guerra v. Manchester Terminal Corp. 6 California Western International Law Journal 172 (1975).