SPACE AVAILABLE FORM
For petitioning for re-entry/entry into NURS courses or joining a new Cohort.
- This policy applies to the following students:
- Students who have received an unsatisfactory grade in a nursing course; unsatisfactory grades include all grades of C minus or below.
- Students who have withdrawn from the course, based on approval of a University Withdrawal Petition, and are attempting to re-enter.
- Students who are on a approved or unapproved Nursing Leave of Absence.
- Students who are on approved School of Nursing 'Part-time' study.
- Students who are transferring into the CSUSM School of Nursing from another nursing school.
- Students who received a letter from the California Board of Registered Nursing, indicating that 1-3 NURS courses need to be completed.
2. Deadline for submission of all space available petitions for all undergraduate programs are as follows:
- Return Fall Semester: deadline is the first day of the previous Spring semester
- Return Spring Semester: deadline is the first day of the previous Fall semester
- Return Summer Semester: deadline is the first day of the previous Spring Semester
3. The Student Advising Coordinators for School or Nursing/Extended Learning will pass on copies of any Space Available petitions received to the Undergraduate or Graduate Chair of the SON (whichever is appropriate level) and to the Chair of the SON Curriculum Committee. The SON Curriculum and Evaluation Committee will meet and assign students to any available space(s) based on the following order of priorities:
- Students on an approved Nursing Leave of Absence and students with a Nursing approved 'Part-time' plan of study.
- Students who have received an approved University Withdrawal Petition and successfully passed prior term Nursing courses with grades of C or better.
- Students who have applied to return to a specific course due to a non-passing grade in the course.
- Students who are transferring into the CSUSM School of Nursing from another nursing program.
4. In addition to the above priorities, the Committee will take into account the student's previous course performance, the reason for their request and the content of their Space Available petition.
5. Students who have waited out a semester due to lack of space for a course will have priority over students who have petitioned for the first time for space availability.
6. Transfer students applying for space availability will be selected by lottery each semester if not all petitioners can be accommodated.
7. Course Coordinators will be informed, should students be granted approval of their Space Available petitions.
8. Once a decision is reached, the appropriate SON/Extended Learning Advising Coordinator will contact those students regarding the status of their application. Petitioners will not be able to register in any NURS courses until notified of the Committee's decision and as to which clinical section they have been assigned, if applicable.
9. **IMPORTANT**: Students must have current CPR and malpractice insurance on file with the SON, including immunizations, which must be up to date with the SON in order to be readmitted and attend clinical.