SPACE AVAILABLE FORM
For petitioning for re-entry/entry into NURS courses or joining a new Cohort.
1. This policy applies to:
- Students who have received an unsatisfactory grade, meaning grades of C minus or below (71% or less), in a nursing course or a "withdrawl" with unsatisfactory grades.
- Students who have withdrawn from the course with a passing grade and are attempting to re-enter.
- Students who are on an University approved or unapproved leave of absence.
- Nurses prepared in a country outside the U.S. who have received a letter from the California Board of Registered Nursing, indicating that Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing theory and clincal courses need to be completed. (Please note: this is the only course we offer for this category).
2. Deadline for submission of all space available petitions for all undergraduate programs is the first day of the preceding semester. (Example: the deadline for a petition for reentry in the Spring 2016 Semester would be the first day of preceding Fall 2015 Semester)
3. The Student Advising Coordinators for the School of Nursing and Extended Learning will pass on copies of Space Available petitions received to the Undergraduate or Graduate Chair of SoN (whichever level is appropriate) and to the Chair of the SoN Curriculum Committee. The Space Available subcommittee will meet and assign students to any available space(s) based on the following order of priorities:
- Students on an approved University leave of absence.
- Students who have received an approved University withdrawal petition and successfully passed prior term nursing courses with grades of C or better.
- Students who waited out a semester due to lack of space in a course and received prior approval for their space available petition.
- Students who applied to return to a specific course due to a non-passing grade in the course.
4. In addition to the above priorities, the Committee will take into account the student's previous course performance, the reason for their request and the content of their Space Available petition.
5. All students who are entering through the Space Available process will be required to take a 2-unit refresher clinical course for a minimum of 90 hours.
6. If the Space Available petition is approved, the Undergraduate Coordinator will inform the Course Coordinator for enrollment in theory and refresher clinical courses.
7. Once a decision is reached, the appropriate SoN/Extended Learning Advising Coordinator will contact those students regarding the status of their Space Available petition. Petitioners will not be able to register in any nursing courses until notified of the Committee's decision.
8. **IMPORTANT**: Students must have current CPR, malpractice insurance and updated background check on file with the SON, including immunizations, to be readmitted and attend clinicals.