CSU Pre-Nursing Core
The CSUSM courses below, or approved equivalents, meet the CSU Pre-Nursing Core requirement for entry to any of our BSN program at CSU San Marcos. Please use the ASSIST Web site for finding approved equivalents. We also honor any courses completed at other CSU campuses with Nursing programs, which meet the CSU Pre-Nursing Core at that campus. For entry to our Fall 2013 LVN to BSN, the Pre-Nursing Core must be met by the end of the Spring 2013 term.
|Pre-Nursing Core Requirement||CSUSM Course or Approved Equivalent|
|Oral Communication||Any CSU GE A1 course|
|Written Communication||GEW 101 or equivalent CSU GE A2 course|
|Critical Thinking||Any CSU GE A3 course|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology I||BIOL 175, including lab|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology II||BIOL 176, including lab|
|Microbiology||BIOL 160, including lab|
|Integrated Chemistry||CHEM 105/105L|
Pre-Nursing Core Info
- We require that a Statistics course be taken as the CSU GE B4 requirement in the Core. Please note: Our University does not accept Statistics courses from UC campuses, Out-of-State, or any private school to meet the CSU GE B4 requirement at CSU San Marcos.
- At our University we teach Anatomy and Physiology in a combined sequence. We will also accept approved Human Anatomy and Human Physiology courses and labs taught as separate semester-long courses. But courses taken in these different sequences cannot be combined.
- The CSU Pre-Nursing Core requires an single Integrated Chemistry course and lab, or approved equivalents. The integrated course should be designed for Health Professions and should include Inorganic, Organic and Biochemistry. Please refer to the Assist Web site for other approved combinations of Chemistry courses and labs or our Nursing major.
- Some students take more than one A1 or A3 courses even. In these instances, we will use the course with the highest grade. Thus, if a student wants to earn a higher Pre-Nursing Core GPA, they have the option of taking a completely different course and content than was previously completed. For example A3 Philosphy and A3 Literature course.
- All Core courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better. We do not accept a grade of C- or below for any separately listed courses to be utilized for meeting the Pre-Nursing Core.
- We weight-average the grades for each science requirement in the Pre-Nursing Core, but then equally average the grades for all eight of the Pre-Nursing Core requirements in order to reach the Core GPA used for admission purposes to the program.