LVN Nursing Skills Mandatory Assessment
Required Basic Skills Competency Testing
A testing date will be arranged with our qualified applicants to occur sometime in May. There will be a fee associated with this testing. Unfortunately, due to financial restrictions, there won't be any make-ups available, should you not be able to attend on the testing day given.
Purpose: To determine clinical skills proficiency for the skills taught in NURS201, NURS221, and NURS323 (intradermal injection only). Math calculations are included in this testing. This day is also designed to introduce the LVN to the Orem Self-Care Deficit Theory that is the curriculum framework for our school. Introduction to the nursing process and nursing care planning is included to help student's bridge to the RN role.
Procedure: Once given the approval by the SON, applicants will register for the Assessment. Prior to the Assessment, qualified applicants will receive a packet of materials to review that are the basis for the skills & math testing. There will also be a self-study module that must be completed on the following topics: Hanging IVPB, blood transfusions, hanging IVPB, IVP meds, reconstitution of meds, Orem theory framework, and nursing process & care planning.
Testing Day Instructions:
- The day will open with a brief practice session (90 minutes) and the opportunity to ask questions of the faculty member present before skill and math evaluations begin. Please see the Assessment/Training day schedule below.
- For the math test, bring a basic calculator-no PDA or smart phone devices capable of Internet connection.
- 100% pass rate on skills testing and math testing is required to continue with admission process.
- The skills list you will be tested on include:
Bathing a Patient (demonstrated on mannequin)
Performing Oral Hygiene (demonstrated on mannequin)
Performing Oral Care for an Unconscious Patient (mannequin)
Making an Unoccupied Bed
Making an Occupied Bed
Moving and Positioning Clients in Bed
Transfer of Patients Using Proper Body Mechanics
Preparing a Sterile Field Using a Packaged Sterile Drape
Donning Sterile Gloves
Using Personal Protective Equipment
Administering a Tube Feeding
Assisting with the Use of a Bedpan
Assisting with the Use of a Urinal
Catheterizing the Female Urinary Bladder
Catheterizing the Male Urinary Bladder
Applying an External Condom Catheter
Administrating a Large Volume Enema
Administrating a Small Volume Enema
Administering a Retention Enema
Suctioning the Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Airway
O2 by Nasal Cannula
O2 by Mask
Adding meds to IV solution
Administering IV meds via IVPB
Administering meds via SL
Administering medication via metered dose inhaler
Peripheral IV insertion
Changing IV to SL
Administering a blood transfusion
Reconstitution of powdered drugs
IV pump infusion
IV drug calculations review
Administering meds via NG tube
Cleaning a wound/applying a sterile dressing
Applying a wet to dry dressing
Applying a wound vacuum assisted closure
Orthopedic devices: cane, crutches, walker
Applying elastic bandages
Inserting an NG tube
Removing an NG tube
Irrigating an NG tube
Irrigating a urinary catheter using a closed system
Administering continuous bladder irrigation
Irrigating a colostomy
Suctioning the Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Airways
Suctioning the Tracheostomy: Open System
Providing Tracheostomy Care
Texts used in this assessment program: It is strongly recommended that you use these texts for your skills studying. However, you may use any text published since 2005 to study for this test.
- Taylor, C., Lillis, C., LeMone, P., & Lynn, P. (2008). Fundamentals of Nursing: The Art and Science of Nursing Care. (6th Ed). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer & Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Lynn, P. (2008). Taylor's Clinical Nursing: Skills: a Nursing Process Approach. (2nd Ed). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer & Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Lynn, P. & LeBon, M. (2008). Skill Checklists to Accompany Taylor's Clinical Nursing Skills: a Nursing Process Approach. (2nd Ed). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer & Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mulholland, J. M. (2007). The Nurse, The Math, The Meds. St. Louis: Mosby