CSU Pre-Nursing Core
The CSUSM courses below, or approved equivalents, meet the CSU Pre-Nursing Core requirement for entry to any of our BSN programs at CSU San Marcos. Please use the ASSIST Web site for finding approved equivalents. We also honor any courses completed at other CSU campuses with Nursing Programs, which meet the CSU Pre-Nursing Core at that campus. The minimum GPA needed in the Pre-Nursing Core varies by program. Please see our Eligibility/Entry Requirements link for each respective program.
|Pre-Nursing Core Requirement||CSUSM Course or Approved Equivalent|
|Oral Communication||Any CSU GE A1 course|
|Written Communication||GEW 101 or equivalent CSU GE A2 course|
|Critical Thinking||Any CSU GE A3 course|
|Statistics||Math 200 or any CSU GE B4 statistics course|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology I||BIOL 175, including lab|
|Human Anatomy & Physiology II||BIOL 176, including lab|
|Microbiology||BIOL 160, including lab|
Chemistry (general, organic, inorganic
Pre-Nursing Core Info
- We require Statistics for the BSN degree. Our University does not accept Statistics courses from UC campuses, Out-of-State, or any private school to meet the CSU GE B4 requirement at CSU San Marcos.
- At our University we teach Anatomy and Physiology in a combined sequence. We will also accept approved Anatomy and Physiology courses and labs taught as separate semester-long courses. But courses taken in these different sequences cannot be combined.
- Some students take more than one A1 or A3 courses. In these instances, we will use the course with the highest grade. Thus, if a student wants to earn a higher Pre-Nursing Core GPA, they have the option of taking a completely different course and content than was previously completed for an A1 or A3 course, and we will use the course with the highest grade.
- All Core courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better. We do not accept a grade of C- or below for any separately listed courses to be utilized for meeting the Pre-Nursing Core.
- Pre-Nursing Core courses can only be repeated once, and we will average the grades for the first and second attempts.
- We weight-average the grades for each science requirement in the Pre-Nursing Core, but then equally average the grades for all eight of the Pre-Nursing Core requirements in order to reach the Core GPA used for admission purposes to the program.