CSU Pre-Nursing Core
The CSUSM courses below, or approved equivalents, meet the CSU Pre-Nursing Core requirement for entry to any of our BSN program at CSU San Marcos. Please use the ASSIST Web site for finding approved equivalents. We also honor any courses completed at other CSU campuses with Nursing programs, which meet the CSU Pre-Nursing Core at that campus.
|Pre-Nursing Core Requirement
||CSUSM Course or Approved Equivalent
||Any CSU GE A1 course
||GEW 101 or equivalent CSU GE A2 course
||Any CSU GE A3 course
|Human Anatomy & Physiology I
||BIOL 175, including lab
|Human Anatomy & Physiology II
||BIOL 176, including lab
||BIOL 160, including lab
General, Inorganic, Organic or Integrated
(with associated lab if required at the institution where the course was taken)
Pre-Nursing Core Info
- We require a CSU B4 Statistics for the BSN degree. Our University does not accept Statistics courses from UC campuses, Out-of-State, or any private school to meet the CSU GE B4 requirement at CSU San Marcos.
- At our University we teach Anatomy and Physiology in a combined sequence. We will also accept approved Human Anatomy and Human Physiology courses and labs taught as separate semester-long courses. But courses taken in these different sequences cannot be combined. In other words a student could not take a Human Anatomy course, in combination with Anatomy & Physiology I, to meet the Pre-Nursing Core requirement.
- Some students take more than one A1 or A3 courses. In these instances, we will use the course with the highest grade. Thus, if a student wants to earn a higher Pre-Nursing Core GPA, they have the option of taking a completely different course and content than was previously completed. For example A3 Philosophy and A3 Literature course.
- All Core courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better. We do not accept a grade of C- or below for any separately listed courses to be utilized for meeting the Pre-Nursing Core. Students are limited to a maximum of two C's in the Pre-Nursing Core science requirements.
- Pre-Nursing Core courses can only be repeated once, and we will average the grades for the first and second attempts, unless a course has been exempted through Academic Renewal. The exception to this would be solely for repeat reasons, without taking into consideration improved academic performance and a length of time to have elapsed for typical 'Academic Renewal'.
- We weight-average the grades for each science requirement in the Pre-Nursing Core, but then equally average the grades for all eight of the Pre-Nursing Core requirements in order to reach the Core GPA used for admission purposes to the program.