- Office of Community Service Learning
- Project Homeless Connect
- Town Hall
- Town Hall, The Sequel
- Town Hall Report
- Financial Literacy
- Food Security
- Housing & Shelter
- Mental & Physical Health
- Next Steps
- Agency Database
- Info for Students
- Info for Faculty
- Info for Community Partners
- OCSL News Center
- Special Events
- OCSL Staff Directory
1. List the existing projects, partnerships and/or resources from among the campus/community for this area of focus that were identified before your Town Hall meeting.
OCSL at CSUSM community partners in housing and shelter are Brother Benno’s, Restart Valley Homeless Shelter, and Operation Hope.
2. List the existing projects, partnerships and/or resources from among the campus/community for this area of focus that were identified during your Town Hall meeting.
- Alliance for Regional Solutions
- City of Oceanside quarterly meeting to coordinate County, City and non profit agency interventions
- Interfaith is encouraging and supporting faith based projects
- Jurisdictions have stimulus money
- Referrals from schools
- Local clinics are working in coordination with shelters
- FEMA – $2.1 million for food pantries; hotel vouchers, rent / mortgage / utility assistance and shelter beds.
3. List the projects, partnerships and/or resources that were developed as a result of your Town Hall meeting.
See next steps (Question number 6).
4. What did the Town Hall reveal as your greatest asset (or two) in this area?
(Possibilities: Partnerships and faculty partnerships)
- Collaboration between agencies, the city, and the county. The Alliance of Regional Solutions was named as a great asset to facilitating this collaboration.
- Commitment and dedication of those working at the agencies and the volunteers that support them.
5. What did the Town Hall reveal as your greatest challenge (or two) in this area?
Demand is up by about 50 percent while resources have been cut by about 50 percent.
6. What next steps were identified as a result of the Town Hall meeting?
- Interfaith Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 to continue the discussions that were begun at this Town Hall meeting.
- Plans to contact OSCL at CSUSM to have a chance to better utilize students in their agencies.
Input from the Community
- Senior housing crisis is in near future – plan now.
- Assistance to re-negotiable loans for individuals and families in foreclosure.
- Much more permanent and affordable opportunities needed, without violating cities and county’s planning - it is possible.
- Affordable housing is a must.
- year waiting lists for Section 8. No new funding for years!
- Affordable Housing needs advocacy.
- #1 priority and not enough resources. Basic need.
- Not just unique to Filipinos.. All minorities are targeted.
- Desperate lack of affordable Housing. Must have suitable housing for minimum wage workers.